Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I found cheaper Benary's zinnia seeds

Posted by thinman Z5 MI (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 2, 11 at 18:14

If you buy Benary's zinnia seeds, you've probably noticed how the price took a huge jump, either last year or the year before, I think. The seeds offered now, at something like three or four times the price, are coated, but I believe that is the only thing different about them.

I was looking at prices on the website of Hazzard's Wholesale Seeds and found that they offer the coated and the un-coated seeds. And the un-coated seeds are way cheaper.

Example:

Z2961CTV Zinnia Benary Giant Carmine Rose (Coated Seed) 1,000 seeds $28.16

Z2961 Zinnia Benary Giant Carmine Rose 1,000 seeds $6.55

Unfortunately, I've already bought my seeds for next year, but maybe this will help some of you. You might want to stock up. Heck, I may want to stock up too.

ThinMan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I found cheaper Benary's zinnia seeds

Thanx for this source, the prices are great !! Good rating at The Watchdog too.

o

Yes, those prices are very good, but most of their flower prices I've looked at are quite a bit higher than, say, GeoSeed. The uncoated Benarys are a nice exception.

TM

o

Thanks for the tip - I bought some. Looking at my 2010 Fedco catalog, I should have seen this coming. They wrote "Unfortunately, Benary has chosen to offer only film-coated polished seed and increased the cost fivefold!" Fedco had some uncoated seed carried over in 2010, but not in 2011 - all of the benarys are coated now.

So - it seems like these from hazzards might be older seeds, but I don't care. Stored properly, seeds can last a long time! Guess it's time to start separating colors and saving some seed myself.

o

Benary's didn't just add a coating. According to information that Geoseeds sent when Benary announced their big price hike, they had done some selection to improve them (I think improving flower size and % of doubles). Unfortunately this last season was so awful I couldn't tell if the flowers were better.

o

• Posted by nana8 6A or 6B (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 4, 11 at 20:43

Thanks Thinman, Your post made me initiate my first seed order for the year. I did receive my Zinnias in record time.

o

You're welcome, Nana. I was hoping others could take advantage of the good prices.

TM

o

Thanks so much, I will buy a bunch of these. Also will try to compare to my Benary's Giants that I still have on hand and maybe even buy one packet of the new coated seed for comparison.

o

You're welcome. I just ordered 4000 of the Benary's mix. I thought I better jump on my own bandwagon before that ship sailed.

TM

o

@thinman LOL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here