Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Favorite Zinnias

Posted by oath5 z6b/7a MD (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 10, 11 at 18:37

My father and I ADORE zinnias. We grow them every summer and they are possibly my favorite flower, ever. Nothing else provides such saturated, bright color. Every time I go to the garden I feel like I'm some sort of Mexcian cloister garden!

Renne's Granny's Bouquet and the large shaggy California cactus types are big favorites. 'Envy' is cool too, we've grown that one as well. Looking online I'm searching for suggestions of really distinct and interesting varieties to try this year for cut flower production. We're upping up our garden and we really want good producers.

I've currently found 'Isabellina', 'Whirligig' online. Any other suggestions that are really "wow"? We like larger flowers, the smaller ones can be nice but the small pom-poms often have weak necks, not what we're looking for.

What about darker/black zinnias? That's the one thing I've noticed, there are no dark zinnias! A dark zinnia would look beautiful among all the bright latin colors. I had the sunflower 'Chocoate-Cherry' looked great with them in that regard.

p.s. Is it me or is the Candy Cane zinnia seem different than what was out fifteen or so years ago? I'm 21 and I swear the candy cane zinnias are different now than they were when I was four, five and six.

Thoughts? What are your absolute favorite zinnias? Why are there so few varieties out there?

- Max

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Favorite Zinnias

Benary's Giants and Burpeeanna my top two favorites. State Fair also ranks right up there. California Giants, Giant Cactus are also highly valued.

I grow the tall, large-flowering varities for my bouquets to sell at my Farmer's Markets.

Any time you see something like "Renne's Granny's Bouquet" or "Cut-and-Come-Again" you are probably getting a mix of Zinnias rather than a particular variety. That's OK.

Zinnias are my top-of-the-line cut flower . . . easy to grow, productive and non-stop.

o

• Posted by oath5 z6b/7a MD (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 14, 11 at 4:39

Oh I know those are mixes, they're just NICE mixes, but I'm not sure why 'Envy' is in Granny's Bouquet though, is that even considered an heirloom type dahlia? I thought it was rather new introduction....either way, love to learn about the 'obscure' varieties out there.

Really are my favorite.

o

• Posted by oath5 z6b/7a MD (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 14, 11 at 5:25

Whoops meant zinnia, though I guess they could be considered dahlia-type zinnia.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here