Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eden72

Marguerite Daisy

eden72
18 years ago

Are these perennials? Do they bloom very long? And, are there any special tips to getting them to be abundant in their blooms??? They are one of my favorite plants to look at and I desperately want them in my landscape!! Any tips would be great. Thanks-

Jennifer

Comments (6)

• flowerfarmer
    18 years ago

Marguerite daisy is a perennial, hardy in zones 4-8, grow to 24-36," and bloom from early summer to fall. It's heat/drought tolerant, and, require division usually after two years. Daisies have a pleasant clean fragrance that is not too sweet. According to a website I visited, Marguerite daisies in a bouquet cause the other flowers to wilt. Who knew!!
    "And, are there any special tips to getting them to be abundant in their blooms???"
    Yes. Deadheading always helps.

BTW. The daisy that is mostly used for local cutflower production is a cross between the Marguerite and a Japanese daisy. It's C. maximum, Shasta daisy; and, there are many varieties. These have a long vase life.

• eden72
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you so much!
    Jennifer

• mossman
    18 years ago

Jennifer

The marguerite daisy that flower farmer mentioned is a member of the anthemis family. Colors are yellow, white and orange and the stems get quite long so they do make nice fillers in a bouquet. They have always flowered late spring to early summer for me. You get lots of bloom and if you cut the plant back to a couple inches off the ground you will get repeat bloom. As a perennial they are rather short lived as they tend to bloom themselves out after a couple of years.

There is another "marguerite" daisy that belongs to the argyranthemum family. These are lovely flowers from the Canary Islands with the large daisy flowers. These plants are usually purchased as plugs from wholesalers such as Germania or Gloeckners. I believe these would be perennial in your climate but I'm not sure. I grow them as an annual and they are great in bouquets. Hope this helps.

Moss

• sillyonetwothree_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I have blue daisies with yellow centers - - that are called Marguerite Daisies, yet I see nowhere on the www that shows a blue daisy. Have I been wrong all these years?

• growing_rene2
    11 years ago

I am so glad I ran across this thread! I was afraid I was going to lose these beautiful flowers over the winter.
    Thank you for starting this years ago! :)

• growing_rene2
    11 years ago

I am so glad I ran across this thread! I was afraid I was going to lose these beautiful flowers over the winter.
    Thank you for starting this years ago! :)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor