Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
busy_girl

struggling to get those beds ready

busy-girl
16 years ago

Could someone tell me how to get my new rototilled beds to stop sprouting grass so that I can build some raised beds...It seems that every clump of soil has some grass poking out of it....I don't want to spend the entire spring weeding and it's way to early for round-up...HELP

Comments (14)

• flowerfarmer
    16 years ago

Solarize your beds with black plastic mulch. This should help keep those weed seeds from sprouting.

Round Up is not a benign product. This product has direct genetic links to breast cancer. Sorry to be such a downer on Round Up; but, facts don't lie. We live in farm country here in the Upper Midwest. Currently, I am a breast cancer fighter. There is a little, round, white pin that says: Cancer Sucks. So very true. Cancer hurts everyone. Someday very soon, however, there will be a vaccine for breast cancer. And, our children and grandchildren won't suffer the heartache. Two weeks ago, there was a large symposium held in Texas. There were 8500 doctors from 85 countries convening totally on breast cancer.

Warmest Regards,

Trish

• busy-girl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Trish...I had no idea that round-up was so bad...although if I would have given it some thought.....Well no worries I wont be using it anymore.
    Jan

• flowers4u
    16 years ago

Jan - and depending upon what you're planting and when...you can do the layered method. Newspaper (12-15 sheets), cardboard, and then leaves/chips/compost, etc. and let is sit and plant straight through it. That does work well, but is labor intensive upfront. I get lots of cardboard from florits/friends who get flowers delivered in big, long boxes, perfect bed and/or path widths! I do have to have friends save newspaper though, since we don't subscribe to the daily papers...never enough time to read them! But, I agree herbicides won't work for grass! Trish's suggestion is very effective. Good luck.

Wendy

• busy-girl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Wendy I will give it a go ....I don't mind the work..What else is there to do this time of year?
    Jan

• bryan_ut
    16 years ago

Jan- Trish is right on. Black plastic mulch is the best way to get rid of grass and bindweed. I have 3 acres with plastic on it right now and another 2 that will have it this spring. Another benefit is that the ground warms up faster, uses less water, and saves hundreds of hours on weeding. I weeded 1 1/2 acre in less than 1 hour a week all last year. I can send you the pics of how I use it if you need. I use 40' X 100" 6 mil, over lap the edges by 18" or so. I use the soil from around the edges to hold it down. Perennials are on a 2' X 2' and annuals 18" X 18". If you prepare your beds in the fall you will be hours ahead. I failed to take out the 1,000 purple majesty millet last fall and I am not looking forward to that but the rest should be easy. I put down the plastic, cut the holes, use two drills with bulb auggers, my youngest son lays out the 6 packs, usually we have 5 people planting and can do 400 plants a hour. Call around to all the farm and construction places for your plastic. I paid $120 a roll last year.

What else is there to do? Watch the snow fly, order seed and bulbs, fill the flats with soil. Oh 1 other thing to do if you are planning on selling wholesale is to call on your customers and talk to them. Yesterday I was informed by one that she is buying all my veronica red fox, all my white sorghum, 1/2 of my hylander and tapestry millet and 1/4 or so of the celosia. Another wholesaler already had a standing order of 500 purple millet a week. I need to fill out my FM applications too. That does not include cutting all the curly and pussywillow and preparing to give a presentation at our ag conference.

Good luck.

Bryan

• flowers4u
    16 years ago

Bryan,
    I'd love pictures too...if you don't mind!
    I use heavy weedcloth for the paths and in some beds use the lighterweight, cheaper weedcloth for some annuals and definitely the perennials. But, for crocosmia,lilies, and dahlias, I haven't figured out how to maximize the use of my space and use weedcloth too, since they don't always come up where you plant them!

We had a terrible grass problem last year in the dahlia spots, it was a section where we put a lot of compost on in the fall...so, I think the grass (a new type for us) was in the compost, not looking forward to trying to get rid of it this spring.
    Thanks!
    Wendy

• busy-girl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Bryan I would love to see pictures...although it sounds like your pretty busy! I only grow for our flower stand...no more markets and only one shop. Only thing....I kinda got bored and poked around at the dahlia sites...well before you know it...I have 200 tubers arriving in spring (oh and a few glads...and maybe some delphiniums) I had a weak moment!...So now I am eager to have things ready for when they arrive. Since we don't get snow and have hardly had any frost...there's not much to hold me back. EXCEPT those WEED and GRASS clumps!!!...In desperation I put landscape cloth on the beds. I will however try some of your suggestions...It's funny because I hardly had to weed the new patch that I put in last year...but this one will be the end of me!

• bryan_ut
    16 years ago

Wendy, you have mail. Send me a reply and I can attached the pictures. Gardenweb does not allow attachements.

Busy-girl, I never new Canada had zone 8 with no snow or frost. How would that be? It is -5 on my porch ths morning with about 18" of snow all around. Your page does not allow emails.

For those wanting pictures just send me a email. I am hoping to have a web page this spring.

Bryan.

• flowers4u
    16 years ago

Bryan -
    I updated my email...I had forgotten to do that when it changed over a year ago! Sorry about that...would you mind resending?

THANKS!! Wendy

• busy-girl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Bryan- I live in a special little spot that is the envy of much of Canada..I am zone 8 and can push a zone 9 in some area's of my Garden...I'm in Victoria...on Vancouver island off the coast of B.C. before you get jealous.. We do however get plenty of wind. I have deer and loads of those domestic rabbits that people set free..(they eat just about everything!) mink and herons have cleaned out my pond....and since this is the wet west coast we have plenty of slugs (some are big enough to put a saddle on and ride around the garden)...I'm sure it doesnt matter where you live there is always something to contend with in the garden!

• busy-girl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

bryan!! Great photo's, looks like you get very warm summer's. Do you put landscape cloth down and then plant your annuals? Is that to retain moisture or for weeds? I would guess you start your plants in a greenhouse. I think I could spend all day out in those flowers of yours! Hope you enjoyed the pictures I sent!
    Jan

• bryan_ut
    16 years ago

Jan, I loved that yard. I wish mine looked like that! I am planning on doing more 1 gallon like you had. I need to have more plants for sell to try and get more money to pay for seed and supplies. Are you close to any Salal cutters? I am looking to get a bunch of salal straight from the cutters instead of going through three or four people before it gets to me.

Thanks

Bryan

• blueshawll
    16 years ago

Hi bryan,
    I just now saw your post and wanted to let you know that in case jan doesnt have a source i am surrounded by much beautiful salal. I can be reached at blueshawll@gmail.com
    Blessings to you all!
    Cindy

• bryan_ut
    16 years ago

Cindy, I sent you an email. I would love salal and bear grass to add to my wreaths.

Sponsored
Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions in Columbus