Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
americangardner

Trying to grow cut flowers for May wedding

AmericanGardner
11 years ago

Hello,

We are trying to grow cut flowers for our May 25 wedding. This will be a first try at cut flowers so I have a couple of questions.

We are in zone 6b aroun middle TN. We have a large non-heated hoop house that we just acquired this year.

Colors are blue and purple, so seeds we have found so far are:
- Larkspur, Giant Imperial Mix
- Cupid's Dart, Blue
- Aster, Crego, Mixed Colors
- Zinnia, Giant, Purity (White)
- Zinnia, Giant, Violet Queen
- Cantebury Bells
- Bachelor Button, Cyanus Double Mixed Colors

Are the "Time to Bloom" counts on the seed packs only to first bloom? If so, should we add a couple of weeks to that, and plant that many days before the weeding?
Example if they are 60 days to bloom, plant seeds indoors 80 days prior to the wedding?

How can we be sure they remain in bloom long enough? Should these all reliably bloom for a couple of months at least?

We'll be starting in 1x1" cells, under flourescent lights. Since our last frost date is April 15, I thought we could move them to the unheated hoop house around mid-March, in 4x4 pots. Then later move to 1-gallon pots if needed. Should this be ok?

We'll plan to plant at least a couple of dozen of each plant - should we go with more? And will these remain in bloom or do we need to plant a couple dozen per week, in several cadences over a couple of months?

By the way - I don't think it would matter - but we'll also be attempting to grow vegetables for the same event in the same hoop house, along with the cut flowers.

Thank you!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm