Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
June 13th - wedding flowers. Sorry for the (sort of) re-post .

Posted by carrieluv2gro 7b MD (woodpecker3000@aol.com) on
Tue, Jan 13, 09 at 23:25

Hi Again.
Thank you to all who responded to my earlier question about flowers growing in 7b Maryland on June 6th. In turns out I am getting married on June 13th instead. Unfortunately I have never written in my garden journal what was blooming and when - I am definently going to start. Can anyone tell me if the Larkspur and Corn Poppies I direct seeded in mid Oct and mid June of 2008, as well as those that seeded themselves, will be healthy enough to cut for my wedding June 13th? Will the Batch Buttons, Stella Doro Daylilly, Baby's Breath and (hopefully) Sweet William still be blooming? Is it too late to start germinating Foxy Foxglove, Calendula, Clarkia, Snapdragons indoors/transfer to cold frame and then transplant and have in bloom (hopefully) by the 13th? I know I asked the same question earlier, but here in 7b MD the Late Spring/Early Summer period can be a transition time for hardy versus tender annuals when not a lot is in their full glory. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I live in town so wildlife munching on the flowers would not pose a problem.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: June 13th - wedding flowers. Sorry for the (sort of) re-post

We wish you luck with your wedding. Flower bloom time can be so unpredictable. Thinking we all gave our input on your original thread regarding wedding flowers in June. However, a final point to be made is that one should always have a backup plan especially when planning to use flowers for events. Perhaps you should check out your local farmers markets in your area. They are always a good source of fresh, locally grown flowers. You would be happy and less stressful. The flower farmer would be happy. And, you would be supporting the "Buy Local" movement.

Warmest Regards,
Trish

o
RE: June 13th - wedding flowers. Sorry for the (sort of) re-post

I agree with Flower Farmer who gave excellent advice. What if we have a cold, wet Spring? Everything could be delayed quite a bit. What if it is an early, very warm Spring? One Spring when it was hot, I was hoping I would have a few peonies still available for my mother for Mother's day. Another year, I did not have a single peony ready to open on Mother's Day!

I'm sure you get the picture. A back up plan would make this much less stressful.

Teresa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here