Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
some question about sweet peas

Posted by arjen (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 16, 08 at 4:44

Hallo everybody,

I sowed my sweet peas in December and by now they are big enough to plant out - but isn't that a bit early? It's Mid-Feb and we get a few degrees frost every night... They have been in the cold greenhouse for the last couple of weeks to harden off (and it freezes in there too) so it should be al right - but I thought I better check. And what about birds: all cabbages here get ravaged by pigeons - do sweet peas need any bird protection? They're 8 inches long by now, and the seed is pretty much gone I guess.

And another thing: some of my sweet peas seeds germinated almost 100% (Hi Scent and MammothMixed) but other only 50% or not at all (the not-at-all-ones I even nicked with a knife on the side). Is it just bad seeds, bad companies (although the 50% ones are mostly from Thompson & Morgan - quite a reputable company I thought) or is there a trick...

Thanks

Arjen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: some question about sweet peas

Hi Arjen, I dont know what zone you are in but if your sweet peas have already experienced some frost and your ground is workable, you probably could get away with planting them out, they are incredibly hardy. I usually plant my seeds a little earlier than you did, in August, where they are to flower and let them brave the winter.
They are fantastic.

Call T&M and tell them, they have a guarantee and should replace your seeds. When you get them soak them for a day or so and plant them with your plants, they will catch up.

As for birds, mine dont usually suffer but I dont have any pigeons either. This is all IMHO. Best of Luck. Kat

o

Arjen,

I start my Sweat Peas every year by soaking my peas overnight in water, then getting a paper towel damp but not too wet as to rot the seeds then put them on the paper towel not touching, fold the towel over and put them in a ziplock bag one large enough so they all lay out flat, close bag. I leave on my kitchen counter and check in a few days when you see roots then take them out and plant. That way you know which ones are good and which ones didn't germinate.
Then from last years experience the deer at my house ate my sweet peas I now have them fenced in. I won't take anymore chances it took them a month to recover from getting munched down to one foot high.
Good Luck,
Kathy

o

Well I planted the sweet peas a week or two ago an dthey seem to be doing fine! Thanks for the tips!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here