Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grow my own flowers for early September wedding

Posted by victorianinbloom Washington DC (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 8, 11 at 8:13

I am getting married over Labor Day and would like to grow my own flowers. Should I fail miserably at this, I will buy from a flower farm, so that's my plan B. We live in Washington D.C. although the wedding will take place in upstate (central) NY. The venue is an outdoors private park with meadows, forests, hills, so I would like to have wildflowers. I need some help figuring out what to grow, where to get seeds/plantings and when /how to sow and grow. My color scheme is red and white. any advice and ideas would be helpful. thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grow my own flowers for early September wedding

Some brides are interested in growing their wedding flowers. Some purchase flowers from a flower farm and do their own arranging. Some prefer to have a flower farm do the arrangements. And, many purchase from a florist who is supplied by local flower farms.

Wildflowers are perennial plants. Seeds for these are planted in the fall. Some of the wildflowers featured in the link to wildflowers in Upstate New York are either considered invasive or protected. One example: Loosetrife. Many are in bloom well before Labor Day.

I'm going to assume you are interested in the wildflower look as opposed to actual wildflowers. Some brides feel zinnias, scabiosa, rudbeckia, daisies, larkspur and foxglove fall into this category. The seeds for these are available from Johnny Seeds in Maine. One can order online or from the catalog. The catalog contains helpful information as far as planting and spacing.

If you need flowers to supplement yours, a flower farm sells blooms by the stem at the Dupont Square Market in Washington D.C.

Wishing you all the best.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wildflowers in Upstate New York

o

flower_farmer, thank you! advice is very helpful. yes i am going for more of the wildflower look - not necessarily wildflowers.

o

If you decide to plant some annuals from seed for your wedding I would recommend that you use the estimated 'Days to Maturity or Bloom' from the seed pack to figure out when to plant 1/3 of the seeds and then bracket that date with one planting two weeks early and another planting two weeks late. You never know when you will have unpredictable weather that will delay or accelerate plant growth and by making 3 succession planting you will have some extra insurance that one of the plantings will be at peak bloom on your wedding day. :)

- Steve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here