Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crdahlia

Purple Majesty Millet

crdahlia
19 years ago

There was a discussion on this forum a while back about saving the seed from this. I am wondering if anyone planted seed they'd harvested themselves and had it grow true to the parent. I know a lot of times it doesn't. Have lots of seed, and would like to start some to sell as well as for my own use, but don't want to advertise as Purple Majesty and it comes out green.

Teresa

Comments (12)

• Belgianpup
    19 years ago

Although it is a F1 hybrid, quite a few people said the next generation comes out purple.

Sue

• Bob_Piper
    19 years ago

I tried it last year on a very small scale just as an experiment and it came true. I can't guarantee that it would 100% of the time but suspect it might.

Bob

• Dibbit
    19 years ago

I have seen other plant seeds sold with the statement that they will NOT produce 100% of whatever (color, doubled, etc.) they are supposed to sprout, even from large companies, so I would think that putting a statement on the seed packet that there might not be all purple sprouts, and that the green plants should be pulled out, would be sufficient. Can you take a few random samplings, sprout 20-30 seeds in damp paper towels, and see how many come up green and how many purple? You could be extra generous with the seeds, if more than 10% come up green. I am assuming, of course, that you CAN tell the difference at an early stage. And if you plan to sell the plants as seedlings or young plants, does the millet come up green and then turn purple at an early age, so you can toss the green ones in the compost?

• paveggie
    18 years ago

CRDahlia - Thought I'd bring this back to find out your results percentage-wise of color variations. I started a couple batches of the hybrids and they all start pretty green. So, I'm guessing it would take a while for any segregation to show up in the F2. Right?

• Irish_Eyes_z5
    18 years ago

All the plants start green. Mine turn after planting in the garden and exposure to sunlight. What is F2?

Erin

• paveggie
    18 years ago

Irish Eyes - F2 is the second filial generation of seed saved from an F1 hybrid, such as the Purple Majesty Millet. Usually, there is a segregating population. Some segregations are more dramatic than others depending upon the parentage of the original hybrid. When allowed to "self" openly, the segregation may be different from that when a self is made in a controlled manner by bagging, etc.

This thread was to find out what kind of segregation percentages people found from second generation seed of the Purple Majesty. If, for example, both parents have purple leaves, the segregation could be less dramatic than if one parent had green foliage and one had purple, etc., etc.

• crdahlia
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Just transplanted several flats of it into 4" pots today, and will put outside to harden off. They have purple veins, so will be anxious to see what they do when out in the direct sun. Germination rate is very good, though, so if someone needs some seed, will be happy to send with SASE.

Teresa

• Jeanne_in_Idaho
    18 years ago

My germination rate on saved seed is TERRIBLE! Less than 5%. I think perhaps the seeds didn't get mature enough on the stalk, or maybe they froze a little. Mine from last year just barely got to cutting size before first frost. I started the saved seed much earlier this year, or perhaps it would be better to say I tried to start it. I've gotten only three seedlings from 60+ seeds. Oh well, maybe next year I'll get some new seed and try again. Teresa, your offer is very kind, but it's too late for me to try again this year.

Jeanne

• flowerfarmer
    18 years ago

Frank Arnosky said that Purple Majesty Millet smells like burnt antifreeze, the smell you get when your truck is overheating on the way home after delivering flowers all day in mid-August. He couldn't handle the smell. So, he plowed it under......................

• anniew
    18 years ago

Now, flowerfarmer....that isn't very encouraging about Purple Majesty...I haven't even had time to read the last Growing for Market...I assume that's where you got that??? Maybe we can sell them to the smelling-impaired, or put something else with them that has an overpowering fragrance? Ann

• bfff_tx
    18 years ago

Yes they do smell but Frank A. planted en masse, it was about 1/4 to 1/2 acre I think and yes that would certainly cause a stench but succession planting 20-30 at a time is okay.
    Cheers - Kim - BFFF

• Irish_Eyes_z5
    18 years ago

You are saying to plant 20-30 plants of purple millet? You can't make a very good showing at market with that amount I wouldn't imagine.
    Erin

Sponsored