Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reddogie_gw

Keeping cut snapdragons color

reddogie
13 years ago

I'm getting ready to order seeds/plugs for the upcoming season and I need some professional advice in regards to snapdragons. Are there any varieties (or specific treatments) that help the unopened buds on the flower spike hold its color better after cutting?

I've grown Potomac, Spring Giants, and Rockets and I'm beginning to think I just want to play it safe with white (or really pale colors). I need to cut the spikes fairly early because of pollination, but it just seems to ruin any colored spikes because most of the florets will only open pale to white, no matter the spike color. I do use basic Floralife food for all of my cuts. Perhaps conditioning with a different treatment would result in better color in the long run.

I'm assuming most growers either just accept this reality or perhaps they have varieties or treatments that help to reduce this problem. My other option is to grow the colored spikes under cover so they are not pollinated so I can get away with cutting them in the field after more florets are opened.

Yikes - such flower divas! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Laurie

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone