Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marthacr

zinnia spacing

marthacr
13 years ago

I'm still planning how to make a zinnia bed work for me this year. I've never been able grow them to my satisfaction. Thanks for the suggestions already given, but I have still more questions. I found the wonderful thread you started, Thinman, on hybridizing and drooled over the photos, especially Jackie's (?) of her beautiful rows of blooming zinnias!

I'm planning to use drip irrigation and woven weed fabric with holes cut out for the zinnia plants in one or two 3'x 8' wide raised beds (the beds are already made, the width is a given.) A soil test specifically for that bed beforehand and planned organic fungicide spraying is part of the plan. I'm planting Benary Gt, Exquisite, Senora, and State fair.

Will I be able to reach to the middle plants for cutting if I "zig zag" the plants in a 2/3/2/3/2 pattern? This will let me plant 20 plants in this one bed. Will they get enough air circulation to avoid disease? We get a lot of fog and fungal diseases have always been an issue.

Are there any companion plants that I can plant on the edges that would be beneficial to the Zinnias? Or any other cutting flowers or filler plants that I can plant on the corners that I could readily add to the zinnia bouquets as I cut, or should I make it a dedicated zinnia bed?

Thanks for any additional input, and I warn you, this won't be the last you hear from me!!

Martha

Maine Z5

Comments (4)