Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Message for all_bout_flowers

Posted by bfff_tx z8b TX (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 11, 08 at 12:07

all_bout_flowers
Can you tell me what spacing you planted the Orlaya on (eg: 9x12 or 12x12 or 18x12), does it need support (hortnova) if so, 1 or two layers and about how tall does it get. I'm not finding alot of cultural info about it, so any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Kim

* Posted by all_bout_flowers 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 18, 08 at 17:40
Kim,
You'll like Orlaya I tried it last year and I like it better than queen ann's it last a long time and does shed too bad

RE: grow lists 2008

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Message for all_bout_flowers

Orlaya grandiflora-I hate to admitt but I neglected this plant badly. I started my seed late (April), because it was so wet and cold here and probably got the plant in the ground in June. Through out the summer not getting watered regularly and weeded around it still thrived. It grows like Queen Ann not as big probably two feet it looks like the flower of corriander. It lasted at least 7 days if not longer in a vase with plain water and still looked good. I picked some for the florist (she's always a little leary on new flowers) and she loved it. I am very allergic to Q.A. but not so much to this. As far as using support probably would be a good idea as with Queen Ann's, I place them 1 foot apart. This year it will get the royal treatment after showing me it is worth the effort.
Happy Gardening,
Kathy

o
RE: Message for all_bout_flowers

Kathy
Thank you very much. I plan on planting it in the same row with the Ammi's, Majus & Visnaga. It'll be going in the ground within the week, so I hope it can take some light frosts as the Ammi's do. Its looks like it may be a great foliage plant too. Greatly appreciate your response.
Cheers - Kim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here