Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fall Blooms

Posted by ouluannie z3 WI (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 23, 06 at 13:52

I was wondering if anyone could recommend some annuals for cutting that would still look good at the end of September in my zone. My daughter is getting married (informal ceremony and dinner) and I thought it would be fun, (and cheap!) to grow some of the flowers for informal bouquets myself.
I've been browsing other postings on this forum and saw mentioned succession plantings. Are there certain annuals I can just start late and put out, say, the end of June rather than the beginning?
What do you all use in your fall-ish looking bouquets?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fall Blooms

• Posted by pudge 2/3 Sask (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 24, 06 at 11:00

You'll probably want to pay attention to plants which can tolerate some cold weather or even light frost.

Verbena bonariensis is beautiful in my yard in September and they survive some colder temps surprisingly well. Calendula is another, and they are nicer in cool weather than they are in hot - I was really impressed with their late season display. Any of the Rudbeckia's would also be a good pick. Later sowings of sunflowers may also work, but in my experience they don't particularly care for the cold.

Here's a photo of a mass planting of verbena bonariensis in my yard, photo taken September 29.
Image hosting by Photobucket

o

I was eyeing up those verbenas in the seed catalog, are they easy to start? Beautiful photo BTW. Thanks for the suggestions!

o

• Posted by pudge 2/3 Sask (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 24, 06 at 17:57

I have best luck with germinating verbena by trying to mimic warm/cool spring weather. I start them indoors, 3 or 4 seeds per cell in 6-cells. I have a grow light setup in the basement which is quite cool (about 50F). I alternate putting the flats on the concrete basement floor, and then on top of the light fixture for bottom warmth. I alternate every day until I see sprouts, then leave them underneath the lights or move them to my little greenhouse. Verbena bonariensis that seeds out in the yard never really amounts to much before heavy frost, I find starting them early works best.

o

How about annual asters, also called Chinese asters or Callistephus? Those, along with some late sunflowers, were always my September standbys.

If you won't have frost before the end of September, sunflowers will work, but you'd need to plant them later than usual so they don't bloom too soon.

Here, perennial phlox bloom right into September, but I don't know if they do there.

Hopefully, someone in a climate more like yours will jump in, maybe Trish?

Jeanne

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here