Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boston3381

what flowers for Local Florist ??

boston3381
14 years ago

hi all, im in zone 7 rhode island (not long-island)...

im going to start growing cut flowers for my Local Florist,farmers market and my farm stand..this will be a part time thing i am not looking to make this a full time job yet..they will be started in a green house,then to out side planting. i also have full sun and shady spots to plant.

so my question is what to grow?? im looking for something easy to moderate and long stems.like zinnias, snapdragons and dahlias. but dahlias seem a little harder to grow then the others. maybe dahlias whould be better in a green house all year? i whould like to keep everything out side.

what whould you plant in this situation if you were just starting out?

Comments (8)

• tommyk
    14 years ago

If you are new to this I would suggest growing some of the easier annuals. You've already listed Zinnias & snapdragons which are prime cut flowers. Everybody grows them because of their ease and production. I would grow the tall, large flowering Zinnias such as Benarys Giant, State Fair, Burpeeana and others. Snaps: again select taller varieties such as Rocket, Madame Butterfly, Tall Deluxe, Tetra and others. Marigolds are very easy and production. Grow Climax, Crackerjack, Falstaff and other tall, large flowering types. China Asters are one of the most beautiful cutflowers you can grow. Try Opus, Standy, Sea Star, Crego, Duchess, any of the "Spider" types. These are all tall, large flowering types. They are not, however, a cut-and-come-again variety. Once you cut the main stem you won't get much more production, but you will get magnificent cutflowers. Also Celosias are very good, especially Pampus Plume, Punky Red, and a number of the cocks comb types.

All the above are ones I grow, are easy, productive and are mainstays of any cutflower farm. Once you get more experience you can try the more difficult types (actually most are not difficult.

• boston3381
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thank you tommyk for your help,
    i do like the look of the china asters and the spider types..
    one more question is there a way to tell if a flower is a cut-and-come-again variety??like tomatos can be determinate or indeterminate. is there some thing i need to be looking for on the flowers description?

are snaps, spider or china asters cut-and-come-again variety?

• boston3381
    Original Author
    14 years ago

found this one looks nice, Aster Matsumoto Red Stripe,the same site had the Aster Standy Mix too.

• l_james
    14 years ago

The taller ageratums are very easy.

• PRO
    Kaveh Maguire Garden Design
    14 years ago

What makes you think Dahlias are difficult and need a greenhouse? They are super easy to grow and a great cut flower.

• boston3381
    Original Author
    14 years ago

i have bought a few dahlia tubers form lowes (5) and they have all ready sproted.. thinking abought putting them in pots till it gets a little wormer out.(good idea or bad )..

i thought they whould be hard to grow because the ones i have are the large dinner plate type..it gets real windy where im at, thats why i was thinking green house..with plants that big i know you need to stake them but it dose get real windy here ..im in a valley and near the water..i tend to get funny winds here..

i know there are smaller ones that you can grow like the Pom Pon. i have requested some catalogs from Swan Island and a few other places..probly order more when they come in..

• tommyk
    14 years ago

"are snaps, spider or china asters cut-and-come-again variety?"

Snaps can be considered cut-and-come-again. However, they are numerous stems and keep producing after cutting.

Zinnias may be the most classic of the cut-and-come again flowers.

Just do a little research on annual flowers to see if they are the cut-and-come-again types.

China and/or Spider Asters, alas, are not and that is the only problem with them. They do have many stems so you'll get lots of cuts from a plant, but the new stems tend to be spindly with small flowers. Just grow lots of Asters or even stagger the planting to keep production going.

Marigolds are another good for cut-and-come-again. So are Calendula (however, they need good support for long straight stems)

Scabious are great, so are the plume type Celosia (Pampus Plume & Punky Red are great)

• gardencat4
    14 years ago

Hi Boston, nice to see another Rhode islander on the forum. I have found that what you sell to a florist will differ somewhat from what you will sell at a farmer's market. My florist wanted things she couldn't get at the suppliers. She loved peonies, campanula, larkspur,penstemon, nigella-anything with a cottage garden look and anything green. Green flowers look great in arrangements. Zinnias and dahlias. Sunflowers but not the typical yellow ones-the peach/pink/red ones. She was not interested in snaps or glads. I tried woodies but they didn't last long enough and take up too much space for me. Florists generally pay well, too. Good luck!

Sponsored