Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seedpod_gw

direct sowing snapdragons

seedpod
15 years ago

Hello, does anyone direct sow snapdragons?.If so does anyone use a seeder such as the earthway and if so which plate do they use?

Thanks, Ive been lurking a while.

All interesting stuff ,thanks

Comments (10)

• budb
    15 years ago

Snap seeds are much too small to direct seed with an earthway.
    They really need to be started in cups and transplanted.

• kitkat_oregon
    15 years ago

I would agree. They are tiny and I would think really fare far better if started where you can keep a close eye on them. Then transplant and enjoy. Kat

• seedpod
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi , I have taken your advice.They are way too small. I have never grown them before but they have germinated well and now growing on in my greenhouse.
    thanks,

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Don't tell mine that they weren't supposed to grow via direct seeding. I have these and a grouping of yellow ones that came up by me just throwing the seeds out. I actually was just tossing them out and they came up on their own.
    {{gwi:203240}}

• budb
    15 years ago

I did not say or mean that they would not germinate and grow
    from direct seeding. Proper spacing and seed economy for
    the cut flower grower means transplanting.

• budb
    15 years ago

flower farmer
    I found snarky defined as sarcastically critical, critical
    in an annoying or cynical way and also meaning snotty.
    Could they have possibly been describing you?
    Remember the "riff raff" incident 2 years ago?
    Bud

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Sorry Budb, I didn't realize that this forum was specifically for people growing flowers for production purposes. I just wanted to show that the home gardener can direct seed snapdragons and get good results. Now if I were sowing seeds with a directed purpose of growing them to sell, I would agree with you that using a process other than direct sowing would probably be more effectious. However, I am just a home grower who delights in the flowers I grow either by direct sowing, using the baggie method, winter sowing in containers, or the more conventional means of growing seeds.

I agree flowerfarmer, happenstance and things that happen by surrendipity often end up giving us the best surprises and greatest joys!

• budb
    15 years ago

N'dudes
    This forum is not the exclusive of flower
    farmers.
    Please keep posting info and questions.

If I offended you, I apologize. Again, please keep on using
    the forum.
    Enjoyed your photo.....

bud

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

No you didn't offend me Bud--I have very thick skin!! ;) I tend to pop in and out of this forum on a pretty inconsistent basis but I will be back!

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company