Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thinman_gw

Medium height snaps?

thinman
12 years ago

Do you all have any intermediate height snapdragons that do well for you as field-grown snaps? Looking at the GeoSeed catalog I see Freesong, LaBella, Liberty Classic, Malmaison, Ribbon, and Sonnet, all listed at 18" height. I don't know anything about any of them, so I'm wide open for suggestions.

I normally grow Rockets for full-sized snaps, but I sell a lot of smaller bouquets and I think I could really use some shorter ones.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

ThinMan

Comments (8)

• Noni Morrison
    12 years ago

My favorite is Madam Butterfly. She has open faced flowers with good stems in quite an array of pretty colors. She is a nice height for cutting and working with. I just started my seeds today in my greenhouse. I also grow Animation (Early), and Costas.

• thinman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Lizalily. I will be checking out Madam Butterfly, Animation, and Costas. I haven't started any seeds yet, but I'll need to get going on some of them in a week or two. Things definitely happen later in this neck of the woods.

TM

• bfff_tx
    12 years ago

Thinman
    Most of those you mentioned in the Geo Catalogue are bedding plants. Chantilly (open faced) is another good one. It branches a bit so you could pinch it (you could do this with Rocket too) and end up with stems more suitable for shorter bouquets.
    Cheers Kim - BFFF

• thinman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, for the tips, Kim. I'll try pinching some this year and see what happens.

TM

• kitkat_oregon
    12 years ago

Thinman, I grew Night and Day from geo seed last year and it was lovely. It got to about 2ft and branched well. It is a dark red with a white lip, quite striking, but some of the plants were just dark red. Just a thought. Kat

• coraloski
    12 years ago

Lizalily, Do you know if it it's too late to start madame butterfly in zone 5?

thanks in advance
    calida

• lam702
    11 years ago

I've grown Ribbon, Sonnet, and Labellas. This year I have Labellas, all blooming like crazy. I have a tall one too, I can't remember the name but I bought it because it was supposed to be very fragrant. The fragrance is mild, pretty much the same as my Labellas and although its pretty, I did have to stake it and the seed was expensive. I prefer the mid height types because I don't like staking, which I have to do with the Rockets. And the mid sizes seem to branch out better, making more flowering stems. My snaps bloom right through fall, I've had them blooming into November, which is pretty good considering I am in zone 5. Snaps are my favorite annual, great for cutting, look good in beds, long bloom season if deadheaded, and deer and rodents don't eat them. Bugs seem to leave them alone too. The perfect annual!

• thinman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, hpny. I'll have to try some Labellas next year. I agree that snaps are a great annual, and they dress up a bouquet so well, too.

ThinMan

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH