Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blaithinbeka

Starting seeds with no greenhouse

blaithinbeka
16 years ago

I am going mad! Does anyone have any ideas to help me figure out how I can extend my season into the spring with no greenhouse. I have a very limited amount of space in my windows and really nowhere to set up grow lights. I cannot convince myself to buy plugs right now since I am only in my second year of doing this and $200 (for the minimum order of plugs) in one shot is alot of risk for me. Any ideas on what to do?

Comments (16)

• hopflower
    16 years ago

Well, there are cold frames to consider. Put into a sunnier place in the garden, you can often start things much earlier without having to worry about it. You can build one with old bricks and old windows, or even lumber and such. Or, you can get a nice one from a garden catalogue that might suit you.

• kitkat_oregon
    16 years ago

We had great success with building a cold frame with strawbales (laid down on their long sides) and woodframed heavy duty plastic "windows" laid down over the top and held down with rocks on the corners. You can also create a slope for the windows by laying the front bales down flat and then placing your seed flats inside. The straw is a wonderful insulator and works really well. We found that the best width was only one bale, saves your poor back from having to reach too far over. Basically, you are creating a long rectangle, make sense? Pretty low cost too. Good luck. Kat

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    16 years ago

I start all my seeds by winter-sowing. As a matter of fact, it was so successful for me, that is how I got into selling at market. I have no greenhouse and do not start a single seed indoors.

My market does not start until July, so I do have more time than some to grow things, but by the same token I do grow stuff for my own garden that blooms earlier.

Check out the WSing forum for more info.

Good luck!
    :)
    Dee

Here is a link that might be useful: WSing FAQs

• busy-girl
    16 years ago

When I ordered plugs I would often pot them up and sell some...the profit was enough that the plants I kept where free.
    Jan

• bryan_ut
    16 years ago

With limited amout of space for grow lights in doors, you are limited to:

1. Building some sort of hoophouse/greenhouse.

2. Buying plugs

3. Winter sowing will work for perennials not annuals that will die with the first frost.

4. Call a local greenhouse or nursery and see if they will grow them for you. I have done that for years. Buy the seed and pay them $8 to $10 a flat for a 72 tray or smaller. Cheaper then headstart/yoder/raker etc..

Bryan

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    16 years ago

I winter-sow everything - perennials and annuals. I have no choice, as I don't have a greenhouse or room indoors.

Unless you have a greenhouse, or other season-extending coverage, annuals will die (more or less) with the first frost anyway. The OP was asking about how to start seeds/plants, not how to prolong the season in fall.

I stand by my recommendation of winter-sowing, if no greenhouse is available. Often, winter-sown plants are somewhat hardier than indoor-sown plants also. I often have annuals blooming well into November here with no protection (and thanks(??) to changing seasonal patterns).

Just another option to consider.

Dee

• blaithinbeka
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey, thanks all!! I am working on building some cold frames although I have to say I am skeptical about it. I am afraid of with this wacky weather I will either fry the plants or freeze them. But I guess I gotta try.
    Dee-thanks for the idea of winter sowing. Strange, that had never even crossed my mind...I have a degree in forestry!!! :)
    I think I'll give that a try. If one of your annuals comes up and a frost comes along what do you do to prevent everything from dying?What do you grow?
    Bryan and Jan-I am coming a bit closer to putting some money into plugs.

Thanks to all again!

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    16 years ago

blaithinbeka, the seedlings are in containers outside, so they are pretty protected from frosts. Last year was the first time in 5 years of winter-sowing that I felt I had to add extra protection. So I went out and covered the containers with some blankets for a few nights when we had some unusually cold nights in early spring. But other than that, I've never had to worry about it.

Often times, the greater concern is that you open up the containers in time so they don't fry.

Here are some of my containers from last year.

{{gwi:619603}}

Dee

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    16 years ago

Oops, just saw the second part of your question, beka.

I grow a lot of stuff! From my sowing records last year:

acrolinium
    agastaches
    ageratums
    alliums
    alsstroemeria
    alyssum
    amaranthus
    ammi
    snaps
    aquilegias
    armeria
    asarina
    asters
    baptisia
    berlandiera
    brachycome
    bidens
    calendulas
    carthamus
    celosias
    centaureas
    centranthus
    chamomile
    chrysanthemums
    coleus
    coreopsis
    cosmos
    craspedia
    dahlias
    delphiniums
    dianthus
    didiscus
    echinaceas
    emilia
    euphorbia
    feverfews
    gaillardias
    geraniums
    gerberas
    gilia
    godetia
    gomphrenas
    heleniums
    heliotrope
    heteropappus
    impatiens
    kales
    knautia
    larkspurs
    laurentia
    liatris
    lisianthus
    lobelias
    lupines
    marigolds
    mimulus
    monarda
    monopsis
    morning glories
    nasturtiums
    nigellas
    ornamental cabbages
    osteospermum
    petunias
    phacelia
    phlomis tuberosa
    phlox
    platycodon
    primula
    ratibida
    rudbeckias
    salpiglossis
    salvias
    scabiosa
    statices
    sunflowers
    sweet peas
    tithonia
    tradescantia
    venidium
    verbenas
    veronica
    zinnias

vegetables

Sorry, I know the list is long, but I wanted to give a good idea of how many things can be winter-sown. Some things do better than others, or at least do better than others in some years, but overall I've had great success with this method.

Hope this helped!
    Dee

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    16 years ago

Okay, me again with one last thing....

I mentioned it above, but want to repeat this as it is important depending on how and when you sell, if you do sell.

With winter-sowing, you will not have early plants as you would with a greenhouse. This can make spring sales difficult with this method.

If you are growing for yourself, that won't be a problem. For me, again, my market opens late, so I don't need to worry about this. I do sell some bedding plants early in the season, apart from my market, but I sell them as "seedlings" and tell people that the plants will indeed catch up.

If you are looking to grow for early season sales, this method might not be for you. (But gosh darn it, it's so much fun during the winter to do this, you should try it anyway!)

Okay, I think I finally said all I need to, lol!

Dee

• hopflower
    16 years ago

blaithinbeka, many people in different countries with snowy winters use cold frames to get an early start. You can add straw or hay or even old blankets and hopsacks and such to cover the cold frames for a day or two if the winter and night temperatures are that bad. Otherwise, you cover them at night in the event of snow, and remove the coverings during the day for an hour or two for ventilation and any necessary watering. It works; beleive me. Winter sowing might work for you with some plants, but not all. Also, paying a nursery $10.00 a flat rather defeats the purpose, in my opinion, of raising things on your own. You only buy a rake once. Still, it is for a short time so if that works for you, then fine.

• blaithinbeka
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Haha..thanks Dee. Im gonna give this a try because, like you said, it looks fun. I have all kinds of seeds that cant go in the ground until after the last frost, such as poppies, so what do I have to lose.

Yes, I do need some early summer blooms but Im working on cold frames now and I cleaned out my cellar so I should be able to get 6 or 7 flats down there started.

Thanks again

• hopflower
    16 years ago

You are welcome from me, too. :).

• blaithinbeka
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry hopflower, didn't mean to leave you out. Thanks so much for your help as well. All the ideas were great....I'm so glad I came across this group.

• carrie630
    16 years ago

I wintersow all of my perennials and annuals. The way to do the annuals and not have the tenders die in the frost is to plan to sow them a bit later - I do mine in beg March - and I've never lost one seedling - In fact, I end up with TOO many!(PS if there is a surprise drop in temps in March, I can easily put the really tender seedlings either in unheated garage or lightly cover with a frost blanket).

Carrie

• busylizzy
    16 years ago

Ok, I'll throw in my 2 cents worth of decades of sowing and growing without a heated/cooled greenhouse.
    For perennial flowers: Winter Sowing for me has been the best method, hands down. No worry or hassle with stratification. I am even over the need to check containers every week after sowing for germination and wonderment of survival, lol! I make my own plugs using plastic bathroom cups with a slit on the bottom.
    Annual Flowers: Spring Sowing like Winter Sowing for Zinnias, Sunflowers, Marigolds, Petunias, Tithonia,Alyssum, Verbena, Dahlias, Coleus and Blue Fescue. I have tremendous success for the "growing on" period that was a real juggling act previous to this method. The Spring sowed annuals I use aluminium baking pans, slits on bottom, Clear lids, slits on the lid, by April when the lids come off, I put another baking pan without slits under the pan so I can bottom water. I can keep annuals growing on these containers well into late planting dates of June.
    If we get a frost warning when the annuals are small either lids on or off I use old sheer curtains over the containers.
    I can't explain the odd looks I get from yard salers selling old sheer curtains when I tell them it doesn't matter the color, size a rip or a stain, I am using them for plants!
    Yet, old habits die hard. I still have my heat mats, thermostat and lights on shelving.
    I start all my maters, eggplants, peppers, geraniums and impatiens this method. I don't think a lizzy or geranium would flower in one season if I Ws'd or Ss'd those.
    Agreeing with Dee, about the earliness of plant sales using these methods over a greenhouse arrangement. Last year I gave a dozen zinnia plants to a neighbor who loves them. She was given a greenhouse zinnia by someone else at the same time, my plants weren't flowering at that time, but they did out preform the greenhouse one season long. I also noticed last year that the ws'd and ss'd plants generally didn't look shaggy and worn out by August compared to the greenhouse plants I knew of driving by houses.
    Our big fair is the last week of September, my Dahlias took second place for the first year entering and Zinnias took first place, plus I made arrangements up until November. I use the sheer curtains in the fall for frost protection when needed.
    Ok, I am off my soap box, lol

Sponsored