Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coleus

Posted by phylrae z5a/centralNYS (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 14, 06 at 19:48

Can coleus foliage (of tallest cultivars) be used in the vase with other flowers? And is it hard to grow from seed? I was looking at a series called "Kong." Anyone have any experience/advice? I love the bold colors & patterns. :0) Phyl

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coleus

Phyl,
The Kong series have HUGE leaves but stay quite short. Last year, I used wizzard mix(for shade) and ‘Ardella Molander’& ‘Ardis Molander’ Exhibition Sun Coleus. The sun coleus got to be about 3 feet tall and was georgous in the landscape and in bouquets.

You need to let them rest a while after you pick them to let them perk up. Coleus roots quite easily in water. An added bonus is after they enjoy the bouquet they can have a plant.
Patty

o

There are 5 colors in the Kong series. I'm guessing, Phyl, you were talking about Kong, Mosaic. I would certainly consider using these in our dahlia and lily bouquets because the large leaves would add balance, scale, and texture to the bouquet. The leaves are unique in that no two are exactly alike and they're big, bold and bright. I like that. These plants grow 18-24 inches tall which is quite adequate for our bouquets. I would use hydrating solution to prevent wilting, and prolong vase life.

Coleus from seed are relatively easy to grow. The seeds are small. Just to give you an idea, there are 100,000 seeds in an ounce. We make combination planters early in the season, and use many different coleus.

Trish

o

• Posted by phylrae z5a/centralNYS (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 16, 06 at 19:05

Patty and Trish,
Thanks SO much for all the info you gave me! I remember my mom having coleus rooting around the house, but I have never had a houseplant or rooted anything, believe it or not. I am going to go look up those different varieties now! :0) Phyl

o

Phyl,

FWIW I just received a newsletter; and, it included an article regarding coleus. Oklahoma State University in cooperation with John Dole is working on the development of coleus as a cut foliage. It sounds pretty interesting.

Trish

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here