Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What do USDA prices mean?

Posted by jennifer_mn 4 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 4, 06 at 21:36

Are these the prices that wholesalers charge?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What do USDA prices mean?

Flowers (Ornamentals) are a commodity which are bought and sold (traded) on the open market. As such, they are governed by the rules and regulations of the United States Department of Agriculture. The prices reported on their website are the terminal prices. These prices are the reported as highs and lows. Commodities are traded on a daily basis.

Floral wholesale houses usually do their buying on Wednesday or Thursday. The flowers are flown in early Monday morning. The buyers in the wholesale house have direct link to certain large growers world wide. They're usually given a heads up regarding flowers that may be in a surplus. What this means is the wholesale florist may be able to buy Sweetheart roses less say as an example: 43 cents, and sell them for 65 cents. The local florist recognizes these prices as "specials" to which they have been made aware the previous week. This special price is locked in on orders prebooked. So, if you were to look at the terminal prices reported on the USDA website, the prices might be reported as such: Low .65, High .95. Somehow in the rules and regulations, I think these wholesale florists may be considered terminals.

Because they are a commodity, the prices of flowers fluctuate daily. The floral wholesale pricing changes daily--just like at the gas pump. If you are using the USDA prices, they should only be used as a guideline. If you are selling to florists, the best thing to do is develop good repoire with them. If you are a grower of specialty cutflowers, it is a very good thing to develop a good repoire with the wholesale florist.

Trish

o
RE: What do USDA prices mean?

Okay, so I would use the USDA prices as a guideline when/if I sell to a florist? Thanks for all the info!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here