Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shrub Selections for Cut Flowers

Posted by teresa_b z6 MO (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 19, 07 at 21:55

Hello All,

I have enjoyed reading many of your posts. I was an avid cut flower hobbyist until DH and I purchased 18 acres and horses. We will soon be breaking ground and moving to the property so I anticipate having opportunities to enjoy cut flower gardening again instead of running back and forth between properties. As I have plenty of property and I also love shrubs, I wanted to see what shrubs you suggested for cut flowers for personal use? I am familiar with lilacs, forsythia, mock orange, pussy willow, etc., and am wondering if you have any other favorites you feel would be useful to provide a vaseful now and then.

Thanks in advance.

Teresa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shrub Selections for Cut Flowers

Here are some others I enjoy. winter honeysuckle, buddlaiea, bridals wreath spirea, japanese quince,snowball viburnum, any of the other viburnums for fall color, winter hazels, cornas mas, dogwood, spring bouquet viburnum, flowering plum, crabapple, huckleberry and blueberry and sword fern for foliage, salal for foliage.

o

Thank you Lizalily. I will add those to my wish list of plants to be worked into the landscape.

Teresa

o

Howdy,

Lilac, Lilac, and oh yes, more Lilac.....

Bucky

o

Thanks Bucky. I am a huge fan of lilac also. I just need to narrow my selections so I have early, mid and late. What is the best true pink that you grow?

Teresa

o

Teresa, here in zone 4/5. I grow Curly willow, 4 types of Pussywillow, Dogwood, Oregon Grape, Holly, Rosehip, Boxwood, Forsythia, Hydrangea, Quince.

We cut wild: Manzanita, Mahogany and Fir.

Bucky, how's the fire season looking? The one in OC looks big.

Bryan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here