Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brownscutflowerfarm

What we've learned about hoophouse/hightunnel installation

It's been a while since I asked the question about growing in hoophouses/hightunnels. The things we've learned about the installation....it's hard to dig holes for the foundation pipes when the ground is saturated from rain. We've learned PVC pipe doesn't bend well in the cold, it will split, snap and crack in a heartbeat. My poor brother got whamed in the head a couple of time while drilling holes for the bolts and the pipe broke. The next, is you can't install the plastic cover when even a small breeze is blowing, that just don't work. Now that we've had a few days of sunshine construction is well under way. Both ends are finsihed and we're set to place the plastic over the hoops in the morning. I can hardly wait until we build the next one..when it's in the middle of summer and a dry spell. I always wanted to be a farmer when I grew up!

Comments (8)

• flowerfarmer
    18 years ago

Becky,
    Lucky for you that you are able to use PVC for your hoophouse/hightunnel. We have to use galvanized steel rated for our winter snowloads; and, our structure has to withstand 70 mph winds. The bows are computer-bent to increase structural strength. If we attempted to use PVC, it would most likely crumble; and, the expensive plastic film would end up somewhere on an island on Lake Erie.

I'm with you, however, on digging holes in inclimate weather. I'm not sure we would recognize perfect hightunnel erecting weather though. We usually line up at least 10 people when pulling plastic on the houses. The slightest breeze -- not . a . good . thing. I'd like to say that it does get easier with the next one; but, in reality I don't think so. As eternal optimists, I think we tend to block out the bad stuff.

Good luck to you this season with farming; and, remember to keep a journal.

Trish

• Jeanne_in_Idaho
    18 years ago

I just have a little homemade hoophouse, 12x36', that gets its cover put on every spring and taken off every autumn, or I'd have to have a snow- and wind-rated structure too. Something we learned quickly about PVC pipe is that it needs to be one of the white kinds. The gray kind, which is more expensive and has some quality the white doesn't (I don't remember what that quality is) is way too brittle. So, for once, the cheaper stuff (white) is way better!

Those hoops have been out there for four or five years, I don't remember, and are still doing just fine. We never thought our cheaply-but-well-built structure would last this long. The plastic, rated for four years, lasts much longer than that here, presumably because we're so far north, we don't get a lot of UV rays. And it is right on top of the PVC pipes. It gets a little opaque, over time, where it touches the PVC pipes, but not brittle. It's easy to fit it back on exactly right with those opaque stripes to show us how it goes. I've heard that it's hard on the plastic to be right up against PVC, but mine always has been. Perhaps it's not bad here because we have so little UV.

We learned that we COULD put the cover on during a light breeze if it was blowing in the right direction, with two of us. I learned quickly that I couldn't put the cover on alone, no matter whether there was any wind or not. Once it is fastened down in a couple of places, I can finish it alone, but it's a lot faster (and more fun) with two. It's small enough that two people are plenty. And there's no way to put it on in a real wind, at least not with only two people.

We have erected, taken down, and re-erected elsewhere a 30x97' greenhouse, and I agree with Trish, it DOES get easier the second time. I rather enjoyed Plastic Day all three times. Since we assembled 10 or so people to get both layers of plastic on (and off), it became a social event also. I made some lasagna or spaghetti, we supplied beer, etc. Days with no wind at all don't happen here except in midsummer, so we had to do the pulling between gusts, all three times. That structure was year-round, built to take a snow load and high winds (and it certainly has), like Trish's. In erecting that greenhouse the first time, we learned that we shouldn't have had the pad graveled until AFTER pounding the foundation pipes in. It's amazing, the stuff you learn by experience!

Every year, in the fall, my husband says he's going to build me a small metal-framed greenhouse in the spring, and every year, around spring, he doesn't get around to it. Oh well, maybe next year....

Jeanne

• Irish_Eyes_z5
    18 years ago

The 30x97 greenhouse you helped your friends with Jeanne. Did you mean 30x96? I have a question. Was this greenhouse or hoophouse or whatever they are called built also with pvc pipe? I wondered about the arch on a 30' if pvc pipe could be used. I have read about pvc pipe used on smaller hoophouses like your 12x36, or 12x48. Or was a kit bought from a greenhouse manufacturer for the 30x96 you helped your friends with? I read on another forum when you build a 30' greenhouse you need a gothic type structure for strength.

Erin

• Fundybayfarm
    18 years ago

We have a gothic style steel (heavy gauge) greenhouse going up now, or when the weather permits, but the main framework is up right now, and we are concentrating on the doors at this point. I just wanted to ask those of you that have structures already in place, what type of doors you installed? We have in mind that being situated into the prevailing winds, and needing the ventilation during the summer, that sliding doors will be most advantageous. We are installing 2, 4' doors that slide open, to make a 8' opening on both ends. To the left of of the front sliding door, we are installing a normal size door to enter when it's windy and cold in the spring, and we don't want too much heat to escape when entering and exiting. Does this sound feasible to all of you? I wanted wide enough doors for a wheel barrow, and possibly the tractor if need be. The structure is 50X20. I like the idea of the party when the plastic is installed, as long as the beer is served after the work!
    Cheryl

• flowerfarmer
    18 years ago

I like your idea of sliding doors Cheryl. We have two 4' doors that swing open and lie flat against our hightunnel frames. They have to fit flat against the frame. Ask me how I know this!! On our seedling greenhouse we have a standard size door to the right of the large swinging door which serves the purpose you mentioned -- getting in and out quickly. The large swinging door is 6' wide. It would probably look more balanced if it was actually 8' wide; but, we had an old barn stone wall to contend with. The stone wall -- it adds charm/character. And, to be perfectly honest we didn't know all that much about greenhouses when we put up our first.

Since lasagna and spaghetti are Italian dishes, I'll have wine with mine please.........

Our antique door
    {{gwi:619863}}

• Jeanne_in_Idaho
    18 years ago

Erin, I don't honestly remember if the big greenhouse was 96 or 97 feet long. It was half ours, here on our farm, but my sister took it with her (at my request) when she moved away. That's why we had to take it down and rebuild it, on her new property. It was absolutely not PVC, but steel-framed, as it had to handle high winds and a snow load in the winter. Even if it didn't have to handle winter, I don't think PVC is rigid enough or strong enough for such a large structure. It was a Gothic shape, a kit. I've never seen a hoophouse bigger than my little one (12'x36') made of PVC, and wouldn't recommend building one. The stuff just isn't stable enough.

The main (front) doors were a pair, 4' wide each, and tall enough that we could drive our tractor in (that was a small tractor, only 15 HP). They were made of wood (the rest of the end structures were wood-framed with greenhouse plastic on both sides). We could open only one door if that's all we needed. There was a man-door at the back (the size you have in your house), part of the kit. We rarely used it, as it didn't go anywhere we really wanted to be.

Jeanne

• flowerfarmer
    18 years ago

Over on the Greenhouse Forum, there's always discussion about pvc greenhouses. They do use these structures in warmer climates. One poster in particular has built one in Tennessee. It's 16' wide by 40' long. It has a 9' center with 5' sides. Actually, I think Becky of Brown's Cutflower Farm in Alabama, (the OP of this thread), was building one that she could drive the tractor through.

In the Midwest, we call those service doors. We have one at each end of the seedling greenhouse. We use these doors during the entire growing season. When we're headed out to the field, we walk through the greenhouse. We all do this. The seedling greenhouse is full throughout the season; and, it's fun (amazing actually) to watch the germinating process. The kids love to watch the zinnias that were planted on the previous day already pushing through the soil. That's what it's all about, isn't it?

Trish

• brownscutflowerfarm
    Original Author
    18 years ago

It's nice to read all the responses about hoophouses. Ours is finally completed. The overall size is 18 x 40. I know it's small compared to some of the ones you all have, but it's a beginning for us. One end wall we made permanent, using a screen door for access. During cold weather we will cover the screen with plastic. The other end is built in three sections so each can be removed for the tractor to get in. We did use PVC, in the end of each section of the hoops my brother added abbout 6 inches of black pipe inside the PVC for added strength. Being in Alabama, we don't have to worry about snow and terribly high winds except during hurricane season and we're not on the coast.

I have to say our neighbors are ever in awe of all we do here on the farm. Whenever we start a new project they all have to stop and find out what we are doing. Not many of them get the concept of hoophouse growing. The biggest question has been, how are we going to heat it. Actually, the concept of us having a cut flower farm is still a major topic of conversation in the community, even after 4 years.

In the words of my brother.."hoop lives". We start planting next week.