Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Calla lilies, need information please

Posted by kitkat_oregon 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 6, 09 at 23:20

I would like to offer colored callas to a friend for her wedding at the end of June, but I have never grown these and I was needing any information I can get as to their culture. I have gibberellic acid to treat the rhizomes prior to planting, scheduled plant date will be approximately April 10th hopefully the soil temps will oblige, I estimated that the 10 - 12 weeks to bloom would put us close to the date. If this doesnt work, she is not depending on me for these flowers but it would be lovely to be able to supply her. Anyway, any experience with these would be greatly appreciated. Kat

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Calla lilies, need information please

In case you missed it, I reported in another very recent thread that I planted calla bulbs last year on April 20th and I harvested the first stem on June 6th, 2008. I think your schedule should work out pretty good since callas continue to bloom for a long season. (I'm on the other side of the country but the same climate zone more or less.) The Pacific Callas web site says that callas will stop growing if the [soil] temperature is under 55 degrees so you have to calculate your bloom target based on the soil temperature not necessarily your planting date.

o

Thanks for the response Steve, I have been watching your calla thread and very envious of your beautiful calla patch. I had thought that perhaps the colored callas behave a little differently than the white, perhaps not so hardy, is this wrong?. I would love to know that the colored ones are as hardy:). Kat

o

No, unfortunately the colored varieties are not as hardy as the large white varieties. But it should work fine to grow them according to the same schedule. But you will need to dig them up and store them in sawdust in your basement overwinter since you are in zone 7. They are only hardy in zone 8. :(

o

Good to know Steve. I just this weekend was in Charlotte visiting my mom who is undergoing chemo for colon cancer that spread to her liver. I went by a nursery and they had just gotten a delivery of a purpley colored calla lily which I purchased for her and was wondering if they would survive her zone 8ish garden. Probably will advise her to keep them inside over the winter just to be on the safe side.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here