Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Just starting out in France

Posted by fleursdufourquet none (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 18, 11 at 4:30

Hi everyone, I just thought I'd introduce myself. We're from the UK but just over a year ago moved to France to "Live the dream" and start growing and selling cut flowers. We're probably trying too many different species and varieties and we probably haven't got enough land under cultivation yet but we wanted to start small. Our first small crop of narcissus sold well at the local garden centre and the aim is to try to keep producing all the way through to the first frosts in November so we're trying more narcissus, dutch iris, alliums, sweetpeas, dahlias, zinnias, sunflowers,statice, ammi, gypsophila, cornflowers, nigella.......told you we're doing too much ! I'll probably have loads of questions as the season gets going so look forward to picking all your brains !

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Just starting out in France

• Posted by pitt IN-Zone5 (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 18, 11 at 6:03

Good morning from the Midwest in US! Your list of flowers looks so much like ours. You are already on the right track thinking about "starting small. We have been growing cut flowers for markets for 10 years and started out very small, learned from many sources, including this site, and have increased size and markets each year. We love what we do!

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. Pitt in Indiana, US

o

Welcome to the group. Although the group isn't as active as it once was, I'm sure that those of us still here would be happy to share what we know. It will be interesting to hear what you are growing and selling.

You can also find a wealth of information by searching in this forum.

ThinMan

o

I am so happy you joined us. Good luck with your new endeavor and please don't hesitate to post your questions.

Teresa

o

Sounds like an exciting project! What part of France are you in? What is the climate like?

o

Hi everyone, we're in the south-west, about 1.5 hours north of Toulouse. The summers are warm (80F - 90F)and occasionally hot and can be very dry for a month or so, in winter it gets down to 15F - 20F but not usually for long periods at time. It can get much colder. Spring and autumn are the best times,warm sun and regular rain - wild flowers everywhere and everything grows really quickly (compared to the grey UK)!! Right now the peach trees are in bloom and the cowslips (primula veris) are appearing.

o

Welcome! Ah, I must admit to a bit of jealousy - who wouldn't want to move to the south of France and grow flowers?

Best of luck to you, and we'll see you around the forum!
Dee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here