Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Advice for CA daughter's 1st time container garden

Posted by phylrae z5a/centralNYS (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 19, 06 at 7:42

Hi everyone!
I'm SO excited that my 21 yo daughter wants to try her hand at growing flowers in terra cotta pots on her 3rd floor apt. balcony in Laguna Hills, CA. (Don't know the zone yet).
She would like ones that she can cut as well as just stay in the pots. She says she'd like some vining, climbing types too. She has mostly sun, some shade. Like me, she is NOT interested in geraniums, begonias, petunias etc.
Anyone here have any suggestions? I have already gotten quite a few from a California gardener and have lots of seeds to share with her. Oh, BTW, she will most likely plant SEEDS. Thanks so much! :0) Phyl

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Advice for CA daughter's 1st time container garden

Some suggestions for your daughter:

heliotrope Marine
ageratum
asters
Sunbow zinnias
Profusion zinnias
Fiesta Del Sol tithonia
Sundance Kid sunflower
Bashful sunflower
Firecracker sunflower
Zebulon sunflower
Royal, Old Spice or Painted Lady sweetpeas
euphorbia
Green Thumb or Pygmy Torch amaranthus
Love Lies Bleeding
anemone
asclepias curassavica Butterfly Weed
cardoon
calendula
castor bean
coleus
cobaea Cup and Saucer Vine
datura Angel's Trumpet
eucalyptus
digitalis Camelot Mix
gaillardia x grandiflora Torchlight

Grasses:
Pennisetum glaucum Jester
Eragrostis tef Ruby Silk
Pennisetum villosum Feathertop
Zea mays Japonica

gomphrena QIS Series
heliopsis Summer Sun
hyacinth bean vine Ruby Moon
lisianthus Echo Series
lobelia erinus
phlox drummondii
plectranthus argentatus
Iceland poppies
rudbeckia Goldilocks, Prairie Sun and Indian Summer
salpiglossis sinuata
salvia farinacea Gruppenblau

Best wishes for your daughter who's trying her hand at growing flowers in pots.

Regards,
Pete

o

Pete,
Thanks so much for answering! I sent our daughter a care package of seed packages and a gift certificate I had from J&P but will send her your list as well. Happy gardening...it is finally acting a little like spring here! Phyl

o

Hi there! Laguna Hills, I believe, is zone 10, maybe 9. At any rate, it should be pretty much like where I live (I'm up north on the coast outside San Francisco, and Laguna Hills is down south, if I remember correctly). As much stuff as I've collected and grown, believe it or not, I'm a container gardener also, because we live in a townhouse and only have a cement slab patio to work with. You can check out my slideshow for more ideas of what she can plant, but my favorites have been:
poppies
morning glories
clematis
anigozanthos (kangaroo paw)
passionflower
violets
brugmansia (yes! I have (gasp) 30, but of course, they're all from recent cuttings)
ferns
amaryllis can stay outside yearround
pink saucer magnolias are stunning, though mine died : (
all manner of bulbs (though we have to treat tulips as annuals, usually-- just doesn't get cold enough)
clerodendrum bungeii (best in a pot anyway--it's very invasive, but gorgeous)
wisteria (I have a 7 gallon-ish sized pot with wisteria)
basically, anything! I even have a container water garden. You'd be surprised at what you can grow in a container. When you add the extra luck of being in California, those possiblities are basically limitless.

Amanda 'romando'

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here