Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are all milky saps equally dangerous?

Posted by steve22802 7a VA (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 8, 11 at 9:01

We have one thread already discussing the dangers of the milky sap that comes from Euphorbias, but what about the other plants that also have milky sap? (i.e. Asclepias, Amsonia, poppies, etc.) Are they all equally dangerous or is there some caustic substance that is unique to the Euphobia sap that is not in the other milky sap plants? I'm starting some different varieties of Asclepias this year so that's why I'm concerned. (I also already have two large Amsonia plants though I've never used them as cut flowers.) According to Wikipedia this type of sap is actually termed latex. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latex#Sources ) Perhaps Euphorbia marginata has been more of a focus for concern simply because it's more widely grown for cutting than the others?

- Steve

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cutting/msg0414004022701.html

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are all milky saps equally dangerous?

• Posted by oath5 z6b/7a MD (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 11, 11 at 22:05

Euphorbia is only dangerous to my knowledge if you have extremely sensitive skin, the entire thing about Pointsettias being terribly poisonous is wrong, something would have to consume a lot of leaves to get sick.

Poppies, the sap from cut seed pods from somniferum I believe is opium...

o
RE: Are all milky saps equally dangerous?

There are two plants that I have this problem with, Euphorbias and Rue. I am also sensitive to latex so that may be the reason but I have had extensive blisters and scarring from accidental contact.I no longer grow any of these. I do not seem to be bothered by poppies.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here