Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cut flower suggestions for July 25 wedding in Zone 6

Posted by bomber 6 MA (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 16, 09 at 10:04

I would like to offset the flowers we will have at our family's July 25 wedding here in Zone 6 on Northshore of Boston. I would like, rather I would LOVE your help in suggesting flowers I can grow from seeds for cutting. I have lots of perennials and haven't done much with cut flowers before now.

Thank you in advance!
Debbie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cut flower suggestions for July 25 wedding in Zone 6

Debbie, sorry no one has responded to your question. I'm not exactly qualified to be giving advice -
I've piddled in flowers almost all my life, but only started growing for market last year.
What kind of flowers are you trying to offset? Is there a particular color scheme you plan to use? I saw something one day this week that had a chartreuse & purple mix - it had a mix of Zinnia 'Envy', Salvia farinacea 'Victoria' and Verbena bonariensis.
As an aside, I also saw a magazine at Hobby Lobby a couple of weeks ago, that was strictly cut flowers for weddings, but I can't remember what publication it was, I want to say it was Better Homes and Gardens or maybe a Martha Stewart publication.
Good luck and congratulations on the wedding! Maybe some of the experts here will have time to chime in before too long.
BBH

o

blueberryhills, thank you for responding. I will look for the magazine you mention. It may jump out at me at B&N or Borders.

Here is the color scheme my DIL, the bride has requested. Sadly no blues and purples (my favs but not my wedding :-)).

She is thinking white of course. A full range of pinks from light to dark and then pinks veering into orangeish colors like coral, apricot, peach, salmon etc. and maybe light yellows.

Thanks again for your response. I'm looking forward to trying my hand at growing cut flowers.

o

I'm not sure what your zone is there but you might check into Cosmos, sweet peas, godetia, clarkia, annual scabosia, marigolds, calendula, batchlor buttons, larkspur, zinnias, queen ann's lace all are easy to grow from seed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here