Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sylky00

Feverfew

sylky00
18 years ago

Good morning! I hope someone can help me with a feverfew question. I'd like to find a variety that is fully double and white; the one I want looks like a small mum. I ordered "White Wonder", & the seed pkt. photo shows a prominent center, which I don't want. Is that what it really looks like? Other sources have "Tetra White" and "Ultra Dbl White". Are these better varieties? Thanks for any help.

Comments (12)

• Jeanne_in_Idaho
    18 years ago

I've been growing Ultra Double White, seeds from Germania. The flowers are very double, with maybe a greenish or yellowish indentation in the middle on top, but you can't actually see the center at all. They're the most double I've ever seen.

Jeanne

• sylky00
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks so much for the info, Jeanne. I'll try the Ultra Dbl. White- it sounds just like what I'm looking for!

• Jeanne_in_Idaho
    18 years ago

I'd reached the conclusion that Ultra Double White is a biennial, because in my garden, it always lives two seasons, then dies. It blooms the first year, though, which isn't really biennial behavior. I guess you'd have to call it a REALLY short-lived perennial.

I've seen Ultra Double White and Tetra White and Tetra White Wonder referred to as different names for the same thing - but now I don't remember where, so who knows whether there's any truth to it. The Ultra Double Whites I grew were always very double, but I probably grew less than 50, total, so that's not much of an example.

Trish, do you know where to get seeds for Magic Lime Green? - if it's even available by seed! Getting plugs or rooted cuttings doesn't make sense for me any more. I've fallen in love with lime green, especially when combined with magenta or purple.

Jeanne

• bfff_tx
    18 years ago

I'm growing Tetra White this year and it's my first experience with the stuff, so Trish, thanks for the heads up on the support netting. I needed to know that. Also Jeanne or Trish - what is the production like per plant. Is this something I need alot(selling to florists) of or not, also will it do okay in full sun (Texas heat) or does it need afternoon shade?. I'm starting off with a tray of 128 and was wondering if I should seed another. I'll be treating it as an annual.
    Thanks and Cheers - Kim
    Billabong Fresh Flower Farm

• Jeanne_in_Idaho
    18 years ago

Kim, your climate is so little like mine, I don't think production or sun/shade needs are going to be even slightly similar. Here, it absolutely has to have full sun or it gets too floppy reaching out for the sun (and yes, I use support). We have very cold nights here, so everything grows much more slowly than in a warm-nights climate. Add our ultra-short season, and the plants just don't get very big the first year. First year production here is so poor as to be almost useless, but second year is unbelievable. HOWEVER: many plants (delphinium and "annual" rudbeckia also come to mind, but there are probably more) grown as annuals in Texas have very little production in their first year here and only become useful the second year. Those same plants tend to "melt out" in the Texas heat and are therefore strictly annuals there, whereas they are only useful as biennials here. And many plants that need absolute full sun here need some shade in more southerly climates.

I didn't want to ignore your question, but my experience probably just isn't relevant to you. Trish's climate has warm nights, at least, and her season is longer than mine, so any answer she gives is probably more useful to you.

Jeanne

• heidi41
    18 years ago

I also grow the Tetra White (from Johnny seed). They are an absolute wonderful filler. However, mind only get about 16" tall( l8" to 20" if I'm lucky). Mine are also good for 2 years. The second year they seem to bloom about 2 weeks earlier than the one year old plants. They are very double but do have a small yellow center. Mine are in full sun, I was wondering if maybe I put some in partial shade if they might stretch a bit? Even though they are only about l6", they still work out great into bouquets. Heidi

• katiepoo
    18 years ago

I found a variety I am excited to grow called 'virgo' in Select Seeds and it sounds like what you are looking for. It is supposed to grow two feet. Check the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Virgo Feverfew

• Irish_Eyes_z5
    18 years ago

It sounded like Slky wanted fully double Feverfew.
    The picture of 'Virgo' at Select Seeds didn't look double.
    Can I say the Feverfew 'Virgo' isn't that attractive to me?
    It looks bald. What do you want to bet it's even less attractive in person?

Erin

• Noni Morrison
    18 years ago

Well, different strokes for different folks. I think Virgo is adorable and exactly what I want. They aare already sprouting under my lights and so is Rotary. I also have some "Regular" feverfew (White wonder) that comes back every year. I love the idea of having 3 different white fillers to go with different flowers or to use different weeks at my stand.

• heidi41
    18 years ago

I'm with Lizalily...I think the Virgo is great looking. I'm definnetly ordering some for next year. You can never have too many white fillers to choose from.

• Jeanne_in_Idaho
    18 years ago

Virgo looks very, very double in the photo I saw on the Select Seeds site. I wonder what Erin was looking at!? I think I need a few of those. Rotary looks bald to me, and a whole lot more yellow than white - which eliminates my interest.

Jeanne

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living