Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Purple Majesty Millet--when to start?

Posted by anniew 4-5/PA (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 17, 06 at 10:52

I have some seeds of Purple Majesty Millet that I saved from last year (that I got from a nice person on this forum). When should I start it for transplants relative to the last frost date?
Thanks.
Ann

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Purple Majesty Millet--when to start?

Hi Ann,

The purple majesty millet that I purchased said to start 8 - 10 weeks before the last frost. hth. Shirley

o

According to Park Seeds they may be planted indoors or outside in temperatures above 60

Here is a link that might be useful: Park Seeds

o

Mine are started now, I just use cell packs covered with a clear plastic bag, and they germinate well.(bag removed after germination of course.) I find they take a while here, so need a good 8 wks. prior to last frost date, which is June 1st. So, better get started!
Cheryl

o

We have direct seeded these in the field in May when the soil temperatures are above 60; and, they do just fine.
Sometimes the seedling greenhouse is just bursting with other things; and, there's just no room for seed that can
easily be direct seeded.

Trish

o

Trish,
I think I'll try some direct seeded as well. But also use my seedlings and see how they compare. We have about a month less growing season than you most times, and of course it depends on how warm of a summer we have, along with rainfall amounts. Our ground doesn't really warm up until the middle to end of June. I tried direct seeding some things last year, and the weeds always grow faster than the seedlings. I like to till, then plant plugs so I can actually see my plants. About the only thing I direct seed is sunflowers.
Cheryl

o

Mine are coming up from volunteer reseeding. I yanked the plant out last fall and let it sit on the ground a couple of days and now I have a gazillion little purple guys all in this spot. Now the task of pulling out all those puppies and leaving just the select ones to grow. I'm wondering if I could transplant some of the ones I pull out.
hilary

o

I direct sow at 2 different times. I have found that when started early, sometime in May when soil has warmed up in zone 7, they are spent by the end of June to July. I resow about 3 -4 weeks later and I have these beauties through fall.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here