Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
misskitty_blooming

agrostemma perennial vs. annual

misskitty_blooming
18 years ago

Can anyone tell me if the perennial agrostemma is any more difficult to start than the annual. Germania Seed lists Purple Queen under perennial and a rather nice sounding one called Contessa Pale Pink under the annual seed. Any ideas? Thanks

Comments (5)

• flowerfarmer
    18 years ago

Actually, they are both half hardy annuals which self sow. They are relatively easy to start from seed.
    It's a little hard because we don't know what zone you are in; however, growers in warmer climates can direct seed agrostemma in the fall. Colder climate growers direct seed in the spring. This flower is an excellent candidate for succession planting. It requires cool nights, and warm 75 degree days, and takes 2-3 weeks to germinate.

We start ours in the seedling greenhouse the first week in March (which was this week actually) for harvest mid-June.

Agrostemma is a really nice filler for bouquets. It gives an airy, fresh and charming look to country bouquets.

Trish

• misskitty_blooming
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Trish, thanks again for your infomation. Sorry about leaving the zone out. I purchased seed for both the agrostemma Purple Queen and the Contessa Pale Pink so we shall see. I live in a frost pocket so I dont know if it would survive a fall planting.
    Kat

• Noni Morrison
    18 years ago

KAT,I don't get any of my agrostemmas to survive winter here in Puget Sound. I would love for that to happen but so far it hasn't. These are one of my favorite cut flowers and contessa Pale Pink is espically nice. Of course one can never have too many whites either and the Ocean Pearls white one is very nice. I planted Milas myself today and now I am wondering where that Contessa pink seed went that I know I have somwhere....

WAs finaly able to seed all my early (plant as soon as the ground can be worked) seeds...ammi, batchlor's buttons, larkspurs and agrostemmas today. Absolutely glorious day for working outside!

We also got my poor little plastic greenhouse up and repaired. IT was gauanteed for 3 yrs but by the end of yr 2 all the screening on the doors and the bungee cords that hold the framwork together (inside pipes) had rotted out. I Think the manufacturer has also gone out of business....can't find them advertised in any of the old sources! Well, the exterior plastic seems fine so hopefully I will get another season out of it and maybe many more minus the mosquito netting inner door. Maybe I can tape something over the framework or hang curtains....

• misskitty_blooming
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks both of you. To continue this further, is there a big difference in bloom time starting indoors vs. direct sowing? Lizalily, sorry for your GH woes, it figures that the company is no longer in business after selling you an inferior product. If you cant overwinter agrostemma on Puget Sound, I sincerely doubt that I would be able to here. I may try a small amount but I wont dedicate too much valuable winter cropping land. What colour is Milas? I have not come across it. Do you have a high tunnel as well as your greenhouse? If so what do you grow in the winter? I am going to be putting in a high tunnel this summer for winter production. Thanks again for any input.
    Kat

• Noni Morrison
    18 years ago

Kat, Agrostemma Milas is a lovely lavender. It is more to the pinkish lavender then the bluish but it is really a pretty shade. I do not have a high tunnel though I am interested in them. Can't support one yet, LOL. Hubby did get my Gardenhouse resurrccted and it will give me atleat one more season, possibly more if I Figure out a way to put new screening on the door. I am thinking of duct tape on the one door that is now up against a fence... Just set out 99 gallon pots of things on one side and still have room for lots of flats on the other if we get some more shelves built for them...Thank goodness they look like they have survived our cold spell fine so far...I did take a quick peak at them this morning and it was pleasantly warm in there.

I found my argrostemma Contessa Pink seeds so that is one of the next hings to go in, depending on tomorrow morning's weather. The back deck is slick with ice right now.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?