Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
butterflylion_gw

Double Cosmos 'Double Click'

butterflylion
15 years ago

How do the double Cosmos work as cut flowers? Has anyone seen the blooms of the new double pink: Cosmos 'Double Click Rose Bon Bon?' Thompson & Morgan has it on their cover, and it looks like it might have more petals than the flowers from the mix. Do the plants that come up from self sown seed come true?

Comments (9)

• thinman
    15 years ago

I grew double clicks in '08 and I've decided not to this year. I got quite a few with weakish necks and floppy flowerheads, and many of them had lots of short side stems all the way up to the apical bud. They could be cut off, but I'd rather not have to bother with them at all.

Both of these problems could totally be my own fault, as I am still a beginner at this stuff, but I had very good luck with the Versailles cosmos, and will be doubling up on growing those this year.

I'd be very interested in hearing of others' experiences with the double clicks. They were pretty.

ThinMan

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

It was on the cover of the 2009 Select Seeds catalog as well and I had to order it with the other seeds I ordered from them. They are selling both Cosmos 'Double Click' and Cosmos 'Rose Bonbon'. I was mesmerized by the full double blooms on the Rose Bonbon which almost looks like a dahlia to me. I will see how it does compared to the other regular cosmos that I have grown in the past. They were all the regular type cosmos in orange/yellow, red, pink, and a deeper red/burgundy and they came true to seed. Not sure about this one though.

• flowers4u
    15 years ago

I'm going to try it on a small scale again this year too. The first year (2 years ago) it bloomed well, but I do found the open flower tended to flop a bit. I found if you cut it early (i.e. before it was fully open) and kept the side stems, they did ok, just ok.

I liked the look of the pictures in both catalogs and thought I'd give them one more try!

I love the sensation pink and white series, the pyscho white and the Versaille Tetra Red too. The Picotee and Seashells are good, but tend to bloom a lot later for me.

For cutting, the do better pinched at about a foot, but sometimes I never make it and just cut hard for the first cut...then they keep on growing!

Keep us posted on your successes too.
    Wendy

• kitkat_oregon
    15 years ago

I too was lassooed by the Bon Bon :) I bought from Select seeds because cosmos do well for me. I love the Polidor orange, because it is both yellow and orange and lasts really well. Kat

• Fundybayfarm
    15 years ago

I've grown the double clicks and had the same problem as thin man, I didn't grow them again last year.
    Cheryl

• butterflylion_gmail_com
    13 years ago

I got a copy of the Select Seeds 2011 catalog the other day. It had the double Cosmos 'Cranberries,' on the cover. Does anyone have anything to add about the different varieties of double cosmos?

• tommyk
    13 years ago

I tried the Double Clicks . . . beautiful flowers . . . but spindly, weak stems making them unsuitable for bouquets.

I'll grow them in the border but not for cutflowers

• gardengirl77
    13 years ago

I have raised Double Click Cosmos for the last two years. I had a florist ask me specifically to raise them for her because they are in high demand during summer wedding season. Double Click are by far the prettiest Cosmo in my opinion. I will admit that the beautiful blooms are a bit top heavy though....but if florists use them in corsages/boutonnieres then a it wouldn't be a problem. I absolutely love them and am going to grow a lot more this year.

• backyardgrown
    13 years ago

I've grown lots of cosmos, and they just aren't good for cut flowers in my experience. The foliage:flower ratio is awful, the stems are weak and thin, and there are too many side shoots.

However, they are GREAT for cottage gardens and flower beds.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES