Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruth52_gw

Starting Bells of Ireland from seed

ruth52
14 years ago

I have planted Bells of Ireland 3 different times inside...not a one sprouted. I have tried several ways...chilled the seed..planted. chilled the already planted seed... Have also tried just planted without chilling.... Anybody have any experience starting this plant. I have heard it readily selfseeds...so I assumed starting would be easy. Help! What am I doing wrong?

Comments (9)

• sorellina
    14 years ago

I'm watching this thread as well since I've had similar issues as Ruth. I haven't ever chilled planted seed, though. I've kept the seed in the fridge for short periods, long periods, put on top of the soil, buried it slightly, it's just way fussy. What's the trick?

• ruth52
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My latest attempt, after doing yet more research, is to soak the seeds overnight in water...then plant. I'll let you know if I am successful this time!

• Pudge 2b
    14 years ago

I successfully started it indoors last year. Since it likes to germinate in cool soil, 50-60F, I set my flat on the basement floor to keep cool. Soil temps above 70F will prevent germination so typical household temp would be too warm. I did not chill the seed. Hope this helps :)

• teresa_b
    14 years ago

I had very good luck last year and planted early-maybe March 1. I admit my soil is very loamy and fluffy.

My BoI seeds are not up yet this year. I planted later, however, it seems they were not one of the first risers last year.

I wonder how important the coolish weather requirement is, though? Last year, mine self-seeded at end of summer in August when it was darn hot. By the time the weather became cold, they were very large but had no flowers.

Teresa

• ksflowergirl
    14 years ago

I have always had good luck direct-sowing Bells of Ireland. I plant them fairly early, before danger of frost is past (like now). They also reseed for me, but the reseeded plants don't seem to get as big as those planted from fresh seed each year.

• ruth52
    Original Author
    14 years ago

SUCCESS! I soaked the seeds over night and planted. Within one week, I had germination...also finally had germination on the seeds that I planted and chilled...but those took a full 6 weeks to germinate. So I guess best bet is the soaking. Now if I can keep them alive and get them planted outside!

• turveyd
    8 years ago

i had no luck last year - instructions were to plant in cool spring on the soil surface. nothing came up, but miraculously, two or three grew in a completely different part of the garden! i'm still trying to figure out what happened. i will try all of the three methods suggested... in damp paper, in a pot and directly onto the soil outdoors.

• dregae (IN, zone 6b)
    8 years ago

This was the first year I tried these and I had 100% germination. I planted them in flats and watered them well and then placed them in the fridge for 2 weeks. Then I transferred the flats to a heat mat and within 2-3 weeks they had all sprouted.

Grace e