Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
the_white_rabbit

Need ideas for a new bed

the_white_rabbit
15 years ago

I don't really frequent this forum, but I popped in for a read and have a question. First of all, let me introduce myself. I'm the white rabbit, and a beginning gardener. I'm only 21 years old but come from a farming family and have a passion for Victory Gardens. I am putting in a new bed at my home this year for my new wife (well as of may 2nd she will be) She said she doesn't care as long as it's pretty, and since we don't have much money and i'm not very good at most other things this bed will be my gift to her. Something that will be planted for her to enjoy year after year.

so I decided to make it a cutting garden. My grandmother always has fresh cut flowers on her tables and in her kitchen from her very own cutting garden and I think that is something rather special.

I have no clue what to plant though, and when to plant it for that matter. I would rather direct sow things and I have been gathering some seeds through trades and things of that nature. Only cut flowers I have though are as follows;

-tabaco sunburst sunflowers

-Shasta daisy

-Love lays dieing (from canada)

So, as you can see i'm in a spot where I will be buying most of what to put in. I'm way ok with that but when I stand in front of the seed racks I have no clue what I'm looking at. Please suggest things...I can really use the help

Comments (6)

• blueberryhills
    15 years ago

I am also a newcomer to the forums. You'll find great information here. I would suggest Zinnias and Sunflowers. These were the extent of the flowers we took to market last year and sold almost every stem we took. We're trying to broaden our horizons this year. There are lots of other options for cut flowers, but I'll leave those for the experts to suggest. Congratulations on the upcoming nuptial. I'm sure your new wife will be pleased with such a thoughtful gift.
    Connie

• teresa_b
    15 years ago

I second the vote for zinnias and sunflowers and please add cosmos to your list, which are also directly sown. If you plant larkspur within the next week, you should be able to get them the cold period they need for germination.

You mentioned daisies, however, keep in mind those are perennials and do not bloom the first year from seeds.

You may want to go to some of the Internet seed sites such as Renee's Seeds, Burpee, Johnny's and see if they have cutting garden collections to get an idea of what works well when direct down.

Good luck,

Teresa

• the_white_rabbit
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Where do you fine larkspur seeds? Is that something I can pick up at home depot or is it a special order seed?

• teresa_b
    15 years ago

You should be able to find larkspur seeds at Home Depot or any other store that carries a wide selection of seeds. If you are not planting the day you purchase them, put them in the fridge to start the chilling process.

They are a tall, blue spikey flower; however, they tend to stop blooming when the weather gets really hot. I use them a lot until then.

Teresa

• Orena
    15 years ago

Hi White Rabbit--

If you post your wonderful query on the Winter Sowing forum I can practically guarantee that folks will be willing to send you cutting garden seeds for a SASE (Self Addressed Stamped Envelope). They are a bunch of generous softies and you'll probably get more seeds and advice than you can use. (Oh, and this forum is mainly about the somewhat unusual concept of sowing seeds outdoors in winter, but there is plenty of spring, summer, and fall sowing too.)

-Orena

Here is a link that might be useful: Winter Sowing forum

• Noni Morrison
    15 years ago

Another easy beginner flower is Batchelors Buttons. YOu can get them either in blue or in a mix of blue, white, pink and dark red Your new wife might like something lacy and white to mix with the other flowers. Ammi Majus is beautiful and she can cut on it most of the summer. It grows tall and has many white lacy flowers. Ammi Visnaga, also called Ammi Green Mist" is just as nice and has a slight greenish color that is beautiful with most other flowers.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County