Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
acemiley

Gerber Daisy Survives the winter

acemiley
13 years ago

Hi,

I have a question about Gerber Daisies that I hope you all can help with.

Towards the end of last summer I bought a white Gerber Daisy plant for a 12in pot. It did alright, but I'm not sure if it got enough light and I started neglecting it towards the end. We got some early snowstorms and the daisy and the dirt in the pot turned into a chunk of ice. When I finally got around the removing the plant from the pot I assumed it was dead so I just chucked the whole thing in a space behind the garage where we sometimes dump kitty litter. Now fast forward to March and there's green bits sprouting from the plant/dirt chunk. My questions are: Is there actually a chance that little daisy survived my neglect and living in an icebox over the winter? If so, is it salvageable? The cat has recently discovered the area and has started "reusing" her litter. What sort of proper care would it need. How would I know if it's actually the daisy and not weeds?

So many questions and a bit wordy, but I hope you all can help!

Thanks!

Comments (2)

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    13 years ago

I don't know much about Gerber daisies - can't seem to grow them! - but I suppose it is possible for one plant to have survived. It certainly happens to me with other plants that are not supposed to be winter-hardy. If it was protected enough I suppose it could survive.

I would do an internet search of gerber daisy foliage, preferably young, new foliage, and see if it matches. If you can't tell, you'll have to do what I find myself often doing - nurturing it, watching it, waiting till it blooms - and then hope you don't have a weed, lol!

By the way, I'll assume you already know to move it out of the kitty litter. I would plant it and research how to care for it (light, water, etc.) and follow those instructions.

Good luck! Let us know if its the real thing or a weed!
    Dee

• backyardgrown
    13 years ago

I planted eight last spring and I now have four coming up that survived winter. I was surprised, but I hoped some of them would live. Not bad odds for my Zone.

{{gwi:620471}}

See the flower bud at the bottom right of the picture?

I got these at Lowe's last year and they were part of a "pink" promo for breast cancer. The colors are light and dark pink, peach and ivory.

I have a tray of California Giants I started from seed that should be ready to plant out in about 4 weeks. I'm hoping they have similar success next winter as the ones I purchased.

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company