Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone marketing polianthes

Posted by kitkat_oregon 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 29, 12 at 14:24

Is anyone growing and selling these successfully in zones lower than 8? I have been toying with this idea as my flowers are racing in the direction of fragrance. Most of the things that I have read indicate really high mortality and even total failure but I'm willing to give them a shot if anyone has anything encouraging to tell me. Thanks. Kat

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone marketing polianthes

I'll just move this along. They are probably too high maintenance anyway. Kat

o

I planted some tuberose last spring and got lots of leaves but few flowers. I dug and stored half the bulbs and I left half in the ground with a thick mulch of leaves. I've been poking around under the mulch and it appears that the bulbs survived ok. I will plant the stored bulbs soon too and it will be interesting to compare performance between the two sets. My guess is that the bulbs left in the ground will bloom earlier and have more flower stalks but only time will tell for sure.

You should get a small quantity and give them a try yourself. Plant them in very well drained soil and mulch heavily in the fall and I think you will be able to overwinter them in the ground. Note that they do have tall heavy flower stalks so make sure to give them some support.

o

Hi Steve, thanks for the input. I might try these next year, right now I am diving headlong into oriental and LO lilies. Kat

o

Kat,

I bought some bulbs this year to give them a try. I am like you and want to experiment with new plants for fragrance. I also sprang for some fressia this year both very expensive and I'm not sure how they will winter over. I planted them in bulb crates and have them in my greenhouse. Another plant you probably already grow is Stock. I have had a great germination rate with my seeds I am hoping for a great flood of flowers.

o

I grew stock a few years ago and enjoyed it, make sure you stake it, I found that without support and the fatness of the stems that they fell over and then did the 'head up for the sun' thing and made the stems hard to work with but they were lovely. Where did you buy your polianthes, and were they the doubles or the singles? I got some great pricing from Gloekner but the qtys were high. Keep me posted please as to how you do. Good Luck, Kat

o

Kat
You can get the single Mexican Tuberose from Ednie, good size tubers and priced very reasonably $ 128 for 200. I find the shipping from them is a bit cheaper that Gloeckner's too. Many ASCFG growers in zones lower than 8 grow them, so you shouldn't have a problem. They like moisture and are heavy feeders.
Cheers - Kim
Billabong Fresh Flower Farm

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here