Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
noni_morrison

Greetings to Garden Pals

Noni Morrison
16 years ago

I have been out of the garden since 4 Mar when I had a "total knee replacement" of my left knee. Recovery is going well, if I could just get some energy back! I have a month to 6 weeks now to get my garden seeded before going to have the right knee replaced. I know it will be a tough spring for me but sure will make gardening easier and more fun in the future! I finally broke down and hired some professional help to get my seed beds ready, and hope to get them planted before the 2nd surgery. I have to say my new knee is awesome! This morning I was able to kneel on a cushion on it, something I have not done for the last 30 years! My Surgeon says, "MY patients kneel just fine for gardening!" He is so awesome! I do have to do the therapy work though, but having strong muscles from gardening is a definite plus for the surgery.

Well, I will drop in sometime again when I have a minute but I better get those snapdragon flats planted now!

"I am late, I am late, for a very important date!"

Comments (15)

• kitkat_oregon
    16 years ago

Hi Lizalily, I, for one, have missed your experienced input on the forum. Delighted to hear that your knee is healing and is better than before. I send you best wishes and hopes for a second successful surgery. Looking forward to hearing from you again soon. Be well, enjoy the improvement in the weather, and for goodness sake, get those flats planted! Kat

• caavonldy
    16 years ago

Lizalily, I had both of my knees replaced two years ago. It was the best thing I have ever done. Enjoy those new knees. Just remember to put some kind of cushion under them when you kneel. I can do things now that I haven't done in many years.

• Noni Morrison
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That is great to hear! And yes, I do have one of those reversible stool/kneeling pads with handles to help me back up. And one of the little rocking stools that I could not get up and down from before.

• caavonldy
    16 years ago

You will have so much fun once you have finished rehab. The 2nd knee is much easier then the 1st. If you do all your exercises now, your muscles will remember afterwards. Really work on your quad sets, that helped me more then anything. I was able to do leg lifts 6 hours after surgery and get myself out of bed the first day, when someone didn't put my walker where I couldn't reach it, LOL. Enjoy those new knees, their wonderful.
    Donna

• Noni Morrison
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow, Donna, that is so nice to hear. I was given this line of bull by one of the interns I saw on Friday, who told me to figure 2 extra weeks of recovery for the 2nd knee. His reasoning was that I had done so well the first time that the law of averages meant I would likely not do as well the 2nd time! That one left me scratching my head! Also a little angry! Did he think it was just a chance that I healed well the first time? He has no idea about "Gardeners legs", does he, or the sheer grit it develops to keep on going when things need done in the garden!

I was hoping to get the other one done in May, but it looks like my Dr is pretty booked up. My garden partner thinks that might work better anyhow. She reminded me I have to plant sunflowers and zinnias in May! Unless we get a wedding to do, our business doesn't really pick up until about August, so we shall see. I just want it done.

• caavonldy
    16 years ago

I had mine done 8 months apart. That gave me plenty of time to get my TKR knee strong and to get strong quads on the second knee. You want those quads to be really strong.

• flowers4u
    16 years ago

Lizalily - welcome back...we've missed you. Take care and don't work too hard! I'm sure you'll be in lots better gardening shape than your doctors/interns think!

Best wishes on the 2nd knee!
    Wendy

• Noni Morrison
    Original Author
    16 years ago

THanks, Wendy! I just got a scheduled date of MAy 19th for the right knee. April and early May are going to be very busy to get the garden all in, especially with this cold spring we are having. But my seed flats are starting to sprout from my late sowing, and what will be will be. IF I get the new glads in on time I can go a long ways on dahlias and glads and roses and other perennials that are already established. And in a couple of weeks I will be planting the seeds that can tolerate cool spring weather. ( ammi's, batchelor buttons, calendula, bells of Ireland, snap dragons,larkspur..yes, I think everything will be OK. It will be so wonderful to get up and down without the pain I have put up with for so many years!

• Josh
    16 years ago

Mostly just read here as I plant and cut just for myself, but I've enjoyed your posts so much over the years I had to wish you well. Best wishes for another successful operation and speedy recovery...you sound so upbeat and that's half the battle won. josh

• Noni Morrison
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, folks, there was a cnacellation in the surgeons scedule when I was in for a followup appt, and now I Am going for my 2nd knee on Wed, APr 30! It will work a whole lot better for our family, but I sure have not gotten as much planting done as I wanted. MAybe I will go throw in some seeds this afternoon and hope they come up! I got the "Plant before the last frost date" seeds in and I Have sweet peas transplanted now, and am working on planting glads, both tall ones and butterfly ones. OH yes, got the larkspur and callendulas and orlaya and ammi in also, but it has been so chilly I Am not seeing much come up. I Have 40 dahlias growing in gallon containers that will have to go in somehow after my surgery, but I Am finding the weather too iffy to move them into the garden yet.

Well, I better stop talking and go do :-o. See you later!

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    15 years ago

Good luck Lizalily! Look at it this way - you are in sooner so you will be ready to get back in the garden sooner.

You must be doing very well with the first surgery if you are getting the second knee done already. That's great, and is a good sign for recovery of the second knee. My mom had this done a few years ago and still marvels at the lack of pain in her knees now.

Best of luck to you. We will hear from you soon, I'm sure!

:)
    Dee

• Noni Morrison
    Original Author
    15 years ago

MIssion accomplished. I Am home with my new knee and recovering. Lots of rehab to do but it is going fine.

• paveggie
    15 years ago

Lizalily, all the best for speedy recovery. Every time people ask me about the cups and flowers-to-go, think of your idea & how nicely it works for me. Thanks again.

I use translucent, colored cups (four colors). Last summer a lady had chosen flowers in a red container. Her little girl asked why we put red food coloring in the water. Never occured to me someone would think that!! Had to chuckle.

Some customers bring the cups and lids back for refills.

• Noni Morrison
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OH, I am glad the flowers to go idea is working well for you. It is for us too, :-)

I managed to get my flowers done up for Mother's Day, by painfully hobbling out to pick tulips and lilacs, and other fillers. Sunday sold out all but 4 and everyone paid the full price. That was nice and made my day...I had struggled so to make sure my customers needs were met and they paid me...no bad kids stealing flowers for mom like last year (Kids were probably well advanced in age!).

Now I am taking a break and concentrating on healing and stretching. Our goal is to get the right knee totally stretched out for the first time since my first injury 30 years ago, so lots of work to do on it, but great reward when I accomplish it.

It sounds like we have a heat wave coming later this week. MY PT says I can go out and plant zinnias and sunflowers if I just don't get too tired, and listen to my body. I do so want to get those seeds in! So come thurs, I will probably be out there butt scootin' along the row!(Dragging my stool with me so pull myself back up on.

Well, Still on pain meds here but reduced and doing well on them. MUch more comfortable then a week ago, and I Am sure the next week will bring big improvements too.

FOr you who are out working your tails off...COme on over, I need help!!! Seiously I AM glad I have done this but can't wait to be out early in the morning working with no thought of recuperating joints!...or of the 45 new dahlias growing in pots that should go out now!

• paveggie
    15 years ago

Me again -- what about a stick planter for sunflowers? There are commercial ones for corn, etc. Just a straight metal tube, pointed on ground end and a funnel top. Sort of jab and drop. Could have a flange at tip so doesn't go too deep. It does work best with two people - one jabber and one dropper. Used one years and years ago but can't for the life of me remember how we covered the seed. With smallish seed & nice soil tilth, it probably just covers naturally or with a tiny foot nudge.

Zinnias not so much adapted as seed is uneven and floaty. Anyhow, might be something there so you could stay upright.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus