Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fundybayfarm

Question to those that grow in a greenhouse

Fundybayfarm
17 years ago

Hello everyone,

Just a quick question about moles. The four legged ones. Last night I had a visit from one in my greenhouse, and he had a great feast on the lettuce I just potted into cell packs. Since I plan on planting some flowers in there, do any of you have a problem with moles eating your flowers in the greenhouse? I noticed he also liked my new dianthus seedlings. Before I go to the trouble of doing a lot of planting inside, I'd like to know if there are certain plants I should avoid putting in there. I was looking forward to an early crop of baby greens but it doesn't look like that will happen. We now have mouse traps set.

Cheryl

Comments (7)

• Heidi_mo
    17 years ago

Hi Cheryl,

Most likely the culprit in your greenhouse is a field mouse, or vole, rather than a mole. Moles pretty much stay underground in their tunnels and the damage they cause is usually heaving plants up or chewing off the roots as they tunnel along. The mouse traps will probably solve the immediate problem. You can try live traps too. Mice love sprouting seeds like peas, squash, even some flower seeds. Seedlings too. Dianthus is a favorite not only of mice but also deer and rabbits. Can't say offhand which plants to avoid, you're just going to have to be diligent. Cover seed flats and seedlings at night till they get some size on them. Set traps before you plant, and keep them set. Sorry about your early greens. Good luck!

Heidi

• Fundybayfarm
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Heidi,
    Thanks for the advice. I have also realized the same with the deer. I planted out a lot of dianthus and per. carnations last year, for this years flowers and the deer had a great time grazing on those last fall. The centers were chewed right out of them. That really ticks you off when you have a good size perennial you grew from seed get chewed up before you even get to see the flowers! If you plant them , they will come, seems to be the way it is.
    While I'm in the GH seeding and potting, my cat has been killing little rodents and bringing them to the back door of the GH. They are only about 3" long, grey and have a pointed nose. I thought they were moles. But then again, that might not be what's getting into the GH and causing the problem. Anyway, I have all the trays up off the ground now, and we have traps set. So far, nothing in the traps after 2 nights.
    Cheryl

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    17 years ago

Sounds like your cat is catching shrews, perhaps. But it's likely voles or mice in the greenhouse. ;-)

• rose_nutty
    17 years ago

Be sure you're baiting with peanut butter. It's the best for catching mice.

• Fundybayfarm
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Rose and Rhizo,
    Yes the cat was killing shrews, and that's not good since they eat insects, not plants. I did catch one of the little varmits with a trap and peanut butter, not sure if it was a field mouse or vole, he wasn't any bigger than the shrew. I haven't had anymore damage, but I know there are more out there! I just hope they stay in the field and out of the greenhouse.
    Cheryl

• maineman
    17 years ago

Cheryl,

"...the cat was killing shrews, and that's not good since they eat insects, not plants."

Moles also eat insects, not plants. Of course, their tunnels can be an annoyance while they are burrowing for grubs. But moles are strictly carnivores, and not vegetarians.

You might want to add sticky traps to your defensive arsenal against whatever was damaging your greenhouse plants. The sticky traps have helped control intrusions to our basement "in-law suite" (we are the in-laws) from voles, which are vegetarians. When I finish our lean-to greenhouse, I plan to deploy sticky traps in it.

MM

• Fundybayfarm
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for clearing that up, and your suggestion of sticky traps. What ever it was preferred my 'kendo' lettuce transplants over everything else. The package said it was one of the sweetest varieties. I'm now inclined to believe that.
    Cheryl

Sponsored
River Mill Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Delaware County's Customer Focused General Contractor