Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help learning how to 'pinch' to make bushier

Posted by phylrae z5a/centralNYS (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 12, 10 at 19:33

I am embarrassed to say that because I am a hands-on visual learner & have nobody near me who can teach me in person, I have not yet learned the art of "pinching" (not deadheading, but "pinching" new plants which I grow from seed, in order to make them bushy & more productive).
Is there any visual resource online (online video would be even better!) I tried to find one on youtube but only came up with some lame videos about growing marijuana!! Or can someone describe in detail how to do this and when?

I understand that it is probably much like how I disbud a rose cluster by removing either the terminal (middle) bud in order to make the others all bloom together, or disbud the lateral buds in order to get one large bloom....but somehow I can't figure out how to do this on a zinnia, calendula, rudbeckia, gaillardia, sunflower or whatever else I want to grow! Thanks for any guidance!
:0) Phyl

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help learning how to 'pinch' to make bushier

I'd like to tag along on this posting as I am interested in the same information. I just started working on a farm where I will be maintaining and cutting flowers for bouquets to sell at the farm stand. I would like to expand on Phyl's question, if I may, not only on how do you pinch properly but which flowers require pinching and which ones don't. Does anyone know of a good book or other resource. Thank you, Phyl, for asking this important question. irene

o

• Posted by phylrae z5a/centralNYS (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 14, 10 at 19:27

Irene...so glad you are tagging along on this one...I thought I was probably the only person on this forum who didn't know how to do this! :0) Phyl

o

I too need to learn how to do this. I have pinched many seedlings to find I pinch too hard and snap the stem...leading to a dead seelding. Argh. I hope someone answers soon. Possibly, if no one does I might ask on the container forum.

Ashley

o

Phyl
you got it, pinch out the terminal flower stem. Make sure there are some leaf sets (2/3) left below where you pinch so the laterals will develop.
Cheers - Kim
Billabong Fresh Flower Farm

o

There's a good post on the Cottage Garden forum about pinching

Here is a link that might be useful: GardenWeb

o

Thanks, blueberryhills! :0) Phyl

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here