Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2 questions about Sweet Annie

Posted by carinb 6b (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 28, 08 at 20:57

For those who have worked with this plant and grown it before, I have 2 questions.
1). How good is it REALLY for wreath making? (Does it hold up well over time? Does it drop stuff on the floor?)
2). Once planted in the ground, how aggressively does it re-seed itself in following years?

I appreciate any advice you can give me. I would like to buy a wreath making machine in the late summer to extend my market season and wanted to know if this plant is a "must-have" for wreath making or not so much.

Carin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2 questions about Sweet Annie

Well I don't know about the wreath part but I can tell you it reseeded all over my garden the one year I had it. It was EVERYWHERE!!! So for me it was an aggressive reseeder!
Joann

o

I grew sweet annie a couple of years ago, and the wreaths I made from it (mixed with statice) are fine--nothing dropping, but they do go completely brown. They look very nice though. I have had some reseeding, in my garden, but nothing that is out of control, and unmanageable. It is a good filler for wreaths, I found, as the plants are huge and productive , over 6'.
Maplea

o

Carin a better plant if you are looking for something for wreaths is Artemsia silver king. I quit growing sweet annie and only grow silver king for wreaths and dried bouquets. As a perennial it is hard to beat and is easy to harvest, also is great habitat for praying mantis, so becareful when harvesting.

Bryan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here