Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Broom corn as a filler

Posted by gardengirl77 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 8, 11 at 21:35

I didn't plant enough filler flowers last year, so I started cutting some of my smaller broom corn and put it in my mixed bouquets. I planted my broom corn pretty close together so it didn't get very big and bushy anyway. Everyone seemed to really like the way it looked, because I sold 14 bouquets in about an hour. Have any of you tried broom corn as a filler? Here is a picture of how it looked.[IMG]http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g343/gardengirl7/fashionshow114.jpg[/IMG]

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Broom corn as a filler

I used it last year. Like you, I planted mine close together (in pots, no less!) so it was smaller. I really liked it in the fall bouquets with sunflowers, zinnias, and dahlias (well, the few dahlias I got last year!).

I'm growing it again this year and will give it more room to grow!

BTW, I can't see your photos. Can you try to repost them? I'd love to take a look!

:)
Dee

o

Dee, I guess I'm not very good at posting pictures on this forum! Try this and see if you can look at my pictures.
www.georgiasgardens.blogspot.com

o

Dido here, planted too close = small stems. I plan on growing black and red along with the yellow this year. It may work out easier than growing amaranthus.

o

You did a really nice job with the bouquets, gardengirl. I saw a sorghum bicolor called broom corn in Johnny's catalog and also something they call colored uprights. I ordered the colored upright seeds and hope I can use them as effectively as you did the broom corn.

I would enjoy seeing more of your bouquets sometime.

ThinMan

o

Thanks for the compliment on my bouquets, ThinMan. I saved out several stocks of my Broom Corn last fall so that I can use the seeds off them for planting more this spring. The seed is so easy to harvest by hand....and it is always nice to save some money on seeds by using your own instead of buying them. I will have to get some more pictures this year to share with all of you. I always enjoy seeing what other farmers do with their flowers too!

o

Yes, Gardengirl, I agree with ThinMan - your bouquets are beautiful! Nice job!

Thinman, I think (can't quite remember, lol) that I ordered the colored upright seed too - at least I had it on my list. I really need more space. Sigh...

:)
Dee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here