Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Opopeo Amaranthus

Posted by gardengirl77 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 11, 11 at 21:48

I was wondering if any of you have ever grown Opopeo Amaranthus. I got Johnny's Seed catalog and saw it in there. It looks beautiful in the picture and I wondered if it's easy to grow. I've never grown Amaranthus before....so now I am curious. Could any of you tell me if this is a good cut flower?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Opopeo Amaranthus

I wouldn't be without it. It's great and it's easy to grow. The main plumes are big and are good with sunflowers. The smaller side shoots and leaves look good with almost anything. I start mine in 36 cell trays 10 weeks before the last frost.

Here are a couple of pics from last year.

o

Thinman,
Your flowers are absolutely GORGEOUS!!! I love the way the Amaranthus looks. I am going to have to raise some this year...it's so beautiful! Can you direct seed this in the field....or is it better to start it in trays?

o

Thank you. I haven't tried direct seeding, but according to Johnny's you can do that. Also, I start mine in 72 cell trays 6 weeks before the last frost, not in 36s 10 weeks before. I don't know what I was thinking when I wrote that.

o

It's one of my favourite Amaranths. It's best to pinch out the top then you get more branching and useable bouquet sized plumes. If you don't the first bloom is huge .
It's also an army worm magnet, so check for caterpillars on a regular basis.
Cheers Kim
BFFF

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here