Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beetlebag

sunflower starter

beetlebag
16 years ago

Hi.. I am interested in growing sunflowers for cutting. Can anyone give any suggestions on where to get info on: What is the best type? How to get started? etc.. I have grown sunflowers before, and that is not a problem. I would just like to grow them like the ones the sell at the food store or markets. With a nice 3/4" to 1" stem etc.. any help would be appreciated.

Comments (4)

• thinman
    16 years ago

Beetlebag - First, if you search this forum using sunflower as a search term, you will find an amazing number of posts that will keep you reading for a good long time.

Second, get a copy of a Johnny's Seed catalog. There are other good companies out there, but I like Johnny's because, for every variety, they list growing times and other information useful for beginners and people like me who are still learning. www.johnnyseeds.com

Third, check out the link below. I think that the cultivars they list may not be ultra up to date, but there seems to be a lot of good info there.

There are quite a few single stemmed sunflower hybrids that shed no pollen that make great cut flowers. Everyone has their favorites, but you might look at Pro Cuts, Sunbright, Sunbright Supreme, Sunrich, or Sunny, for starters.

I've found them pretty easy to grow and I hope you do too.

ThinMan

Here is a link that might be useful: Sunflowers

• pitt
    16 years ago

Beetlebag: Good info from ThinMan! We are also Hoosier growers from central Indiana. 90% of our sunflowers are from the Sunrich series and also Sunbright Supreme. We use Pro-Cut for the other 10% for early and late season. We like the looks of Sunrich and Supreme the best and cut when just showing color. Good luck! Pitt Zone5

• anniew
    15 years ago

Sunbright Supreme is my favorite also.
    However, I wonder about one inch stems...if you plan to sell any to florists, that might be too thick.
    Extra water and fertilizer will make them grow thicker, but imagine putting a heavy one inch thick stemmed sunflower in a florists bouquet. It's too big. I rarely put any fertilizer in, and once they've germinated, I don't add any water unless it's been dry almost the whole growing time...they are very drought tolerant, imho.
    Ann

• anniew
    15 years ago

Sunbright Supreme is my favorite also.
    However, I wonder about one inch stems...if you plan to sell any to florists, that might be too thick.
    Extra water and fertilizer will make them grow thicker, but imagine putting a heavy one inch thick stemmed sunflower in a florists bouquet. It's too big. I rarely put any fertilizer in, and once they've germinated, I don't add any water unless it's been dry almost the whole growing time...they are very drought tolerant, imho.
    Ann

Sponsored