Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
weddinggarden

wedding cut flowers partial shade and full sun containers

weddinggarden
10 years ago

Hello there. My best friend is having a wedding and I volunteered to grow the flowers. I have a bit of challenge with space. I have a lot of room to plant in the ground in partial shade (gets about 4-5 hours of sun per day) and some room on a porch in full (extreme sun) for containers. I have worked on flower farms in the past but don't want to mess this up. I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for hearty cut flowers that will bloom mid to late summer (her wedding is August 23 and travel well. I live in Connecticut, near the ocean. Here is what I was thinking,,,
Play it safeish flowers
Whiskey barrels big containers on porch for dahlias and sunflowers.

On the side porch, lilies (I like casablancas but am not sure they would be okay in partial shade), astilbe and any other suggestions for shade tolerant flowers that will grow in the Northeast and bloom in mid to late summer.

I also have a house with so many windows it is practically a greenhouse in the summer, so if there are flowers that can be successfully grown indoors if I watch them for bugs, I would love to hear about them
I know zinnias are relatively safe but am wondering if they will do okay in containers and/or partial sun.

I would also love to try lisianthus (I know it is a tough one so any suggestions appreciated), delphiniums, snaps, globe thistle maybe, some dill maybe, and some kind of filler babies breath or the like.

The wedding will be less than 100 people. Ideally I'd like flowers for corsages, maybe mason jar type arrangements on tables and a few larger vases. I have a lot more in the ground partial shade space than on the ground sun.

Any advice you can give on flower type suggestions or care is greatly appreciated. As this is New England, ideally I would like to plant enough to ensure if one thing gets messed up, there is a backup. Thanks in advance

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction