Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tulips lying over

Posted by sharonsgarden zone 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 10, 07 at 8:12

I am in the area where we have been hit with below freezing temperatures for several days after having days in the 70's and one day in the 80's. My tulips are now lying over after they were somewhat standing straight yesterday. They have been up and down for a few days now.

I was wondering if anyone has experience with this and can tell me whether these will still be able to be sold as cut flowers once they bloom. Will this affect vase life, etc?

Thanks,
Sharon

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tulips lying over

We don't know anyone who has ever experienced the weather we have had in the last week after the mild early spring. Farmers here in this region are more accustomed to the brief overnight freezes that sometimes hit in the springtime; however, not this sustained cold and snow. The fruit farmers inland have been hit hard. Along the lakeshore here there is generally a little less damage.

So, to answer your question regarding your tulips. Time will tell. We still have another month to go before there's no longer any threat of a return of freezing temperatures. For this reason, many cutflower growers have their tulip crops under protection from the elements.

Trish
Banner Flower Farm

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here