Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicucoll_gw

Can someone identify these flowers?

nicucoll
19 years ago

Got these at the market...what are the two flowers..thanks..are they easy to grow in Pa.

{{gwi:621131}}

Comments (3)

• Jeanne_in_Idaho
    19 years ago

The peach-colored ones are Alstroemeria, also known as Peruvian lilies. They don't like cold much. What zone are you in? Alstroemeria prefer frost-free climates, or very little frost. There is one variety, Sweet Laura, that is supposed to be able to handle Zone 5, but it isn't terribly attractive; the petals are skinny and color isn't bright. In your climate, alstroemeria would be grown as annuals. Most of them, worldwide, are grown in greenhouses, from seed or rhizomes. Unless you're very experienced at growing from seed, you are probably better off buying them at a garden center in pots. The rhizomes are fragile and must be handled with care.

I can't make out the other one very well, but I think it's goldenrod, which is commonly used by florists these days. It is easy to grow in cold-winter areas. Contrary to popular belief, it is NOT highly allergenic. That honor belongs to ragweed, which blooms at the same time but isn't that easy to see, so goldenrod gets the blame it doesn't deserve. However, I'm not sure the flower in the photo really is goldenrod - it's pretty blurry.

Neither of those flowers bloom naturally now in PA. No doubt they were imported from Mexico or some other country south of ours, where they were grown in greenhouses.

Jeanne

• flowerfarmer
    19 years ago

The very best varieties of Alstromeria are grown from tissue culture. The plugs are very expensive. But, the plugs are best in terms of flower quality and steady production throughout the season. Color is sensitive to climate, tending to bleach out in hot and bright weather; and, they are very intense in cooler weather. The yellow flowering Alstromeria have a chilling requirement. The only one I know that are cold sensitive are the purple flowering ones. These have a complete melt down with the first frost. Alstromeria are not grown as annuals here. They are herbaceous perennials. With plugs being very costly, it would be a poor business decision to treat them as annuals. The orange Alstromeria pictured in your photo can be grown in the field in my region. The Alstromeria propagated from tissue culture are patented. Plant division is forbidden according to the terms of purchase. What some of us flower farmers do is set the plants several feet apart. Within a couple of years, the plants all grow together. Overgrown beds of Alstromeria are rejuvenated by disking much the same way we rejuvenate our yarrow. The period of production for Alstromeria depends, of course, on the cultivar. Some plants are nearly continuous. Others have one or two peaks during the season. If you plant a mix of cultivars, production is continuous from May to September in our climate with frost and cold winters. Alstromeria is produced year round in frost free climates. There you have the short and long story of Alstromeria.

Most likely the Alstromeria in your photo came from South America, where they are also grown in fields. The yellow flower which is widely used as a filler, is Aster Solidago. This is also grown in South America for the floral industry. This plant is a perennial, and can be grown here in our region as well; It is hardy in zones 3-10.

• Irish_Eyes_z5
    18 years ago

Are the flowers in the photo from the wholesale flower market?
    Erin