Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluestarrgallery

Hypericum androsaemum 'Albury Purple'

bluestarrgallery
18 years ago

Hello,

Is anyone growing Hypericum androsaemum 'Albury Purple'? I just got some plugs for this plant and was wondering if it can handle my type of full sun - 100F for almost three months and drying winds. Or should I put it in part shade? How far apart should I plant them and how long till it puts on berries?

Thank you in advance.

Linda

Comments (7)

• honeybunny442
    18 years ago

Wish I could find some around here! Hypericum berries are my favorite in arrangements.
    I found this:
    It is hardy to zone 6. It is in flower from June to August, and the seeds ripen from August to September. The flowers are hermaphrodite (has both male and female organs) and are pollinated by Insects. The plant is self-fertile.
    The plant prefers light (sandy), medium (loamy) and heavy (clay) soils and requires well-drained soil. The plant prefers acid, neutral and basic (alkaline) soils and can grow in very acid and very alkaline soils. It can grow in semi-shade (light woodland) or no shade. It requires dry or moist soil and can tolerate drought. The plant can tolerates strong winds but not maritime exposure.

Good Luck!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Hypericum androsaemum

• bluestarrgallery
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Honeybunny - I got mine from Gro-N-Sell but I got them in a cell pack of 32 - so it will be a while before they are big enough to produce berries - but maybe they will grow fast - I have been having pretty good luck with smaller plants growing faster than the bigger gallong size plants.

too bad there isn't a way some of these wholesale growers would let us buy partial flats or share with others and then we all could get more variety and not more than we want.

my summer is so hot here I was worried it would suffer in direct sunlight - I am trying a couple of locations for them so if some don't make it - then I will still have others.

thanks for the info - sounds like a tougher plant than it looks. Linda

• flowerfarmer
    18 years ago

We can't grow hypericum. Like Honeybunny, we also love it in bouquets. We'll purchase it from the wholesale florist, if we really think we must have it later in the season.

too bad there isn't a way some of these wholesale growers would let us buy partial flats or share with others and then we all could get more variety and not more than we want.

You do realize what a nightmare this would create? If 32 plants is too much for you, just do what some other small growers have done -- They pot up the extras and sell them. Or, they trade with another grower living nearby. Some growers have even brought extra plants to our regional and national flower conventions.

Gro-n-Sell is a great company. They have always provided high quality plants.

Trish

• bluestarrgallery
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Trish, I wish I could find a grower nearby me - I did find one through a local florist and I called him several times but he never did return my call - probably too busy - he drives around to various florists selling his flowers directly. I might have to go to one of the farmer's markets to meet some others - oh that just reminded me I do know a small local nursery owner - I might give her a call and see if she is interested in some of my extras. - you have given me an idea. Thanks.

Regional and national flower conventions - how does one find out about these and do you belong to the ASCFG or others? Perhaps this should be a separate thread in case others are interested?

Linda

• goodscents
    18 years ago

You might try Bluebird Nursery (www.BluebirdNursery.com) in Nebraska for smaller quantities. I've been really happy with everything I have ordered from them. They will sell half flats of 72's, 32's and 18's for half the price of a full flat plus a $3 surcharge. My business is small and I don't sell at markets so extra plants are often wasted. You need to have a tax ID or other proof that you are a business to order from them.
    Kirk

• honeybunny442
    18 years ago

Linda, thanks for the Gro-N Sell, that was new to me and they aren't too far away (within one time zone I mean).
    I had a hard time finding them from any wholesale nursery.

Trish, why can't you grow Hypericum?

• bluestarrgallery
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Kirk,

Thank you for the info on Bluebird. I do have a resale license and business so it shouldn't be a problem. I don't sell at markets either and I am just establishing my beds so variety is what I want right now.

I did see a nursery DeVroomen out of Illinois that had a sale on 21 cell flats. I have never ordered from them before but I have my flower broker placing an order for me.

So much is geared to the larger growers - one place said I had to order 40 flats - 40 flats times say even 50 plants - 2000 plants. I would need a crew to plant them all and I only have a crew of one - that is me.

I finished my weed barrier cloth today - which took quite some time - later in the evening I planted 4 flats of 50 before it got dark. More tomorrow.

Linda

Here is a link that might be useful: De Vroomen Holland