Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steve22802

What is this prickly plant?

steve22802
15 years ago

Does anyone know the name of this prickly plant? Seems like it might make an interesting addition to a bouquet. It grows wild along the highways here in Virginia.

{{gwi:621152}}

Comments (8)

• flowers4u
    15 years ago

Steve - I don't know its formal name, but its Teasel (sp?)
    I use it in fall arrangements and actually spray paint it with floral spray for Christmas decorations! It lasts forever...have some in a box that is over 4 years old!

Use gloves though...and its pretty when its green, but never have cut it in that stage.

Wendy

• prairiegirlz5
    15 years ago

Wendy~What brand of floral spray do you use? I'm assuming gold. Or?? Sounds interesting, what else do you put with it?

Is it blooming now in Virginia, Steve? It looks scarey.

One to try with frilly ladies mantle! :)

• steve22802
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Wendy. I've failed twice to grow Sea Holly maybe I should try to grow this instead since it grows on it's own around here.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    15 years ago

Wow, very interesting - but look at those thorns! I don't know if it would be worth it to use. I have enough problems dealing with cleome, lol.

:)
    Dee

• jansblooms
    15 years ago

In some states, teasel is considered a noxious weed. If I were to use it in a flower show competition, my entry containing teasel would disqualified, and probably not allowed for exhibition. I'd suggest checking on its status before planting it. (It does have very interesting texture, and I bet it would be a great contrast with frilly or velvety plants.)

• busylizzy
    15 years ago

I have seen teasel spryed gold or silver in competitons for dreid arrangements.
    Florists will mix them in arrangements with lotus pods etc.
    Never know about a noxious weed, lol, Queen Annes is a weed here but common in many floral arrangements. When I order from florists for work I tell them no weeds like Queen Annes lace, not paying for weeds

• kitkat_oregon
    15 years ago

Please dont TRY to grow this plant. It is certainly a noxious weed here. If it is growing in the areas beside your freeway/highway, it will get into your garden and be everywhere. It has very sharp barbs on the backs of the leaves that kids and anyone else can get caught up on. Great for fall arrangements, nasty the rest of the time. As you probably guessed, I have it here, BY THE ACRE load. Kat

• steve22802
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the warning kitkat, I won't try to grow it. I'll limit myself to using what I can just gather from the roadside. Do you have a recommendation for something with similar texture? As I mentioned above my attempts to grow Sea Holly have led to dismal failure. :( I assume they hate my clay soil. Maybe I should try one more time with specially ammended soil...what is that they really want to grow in?

Prairiegirlz5, it's not blooming now, it blooms in late summer I think, but there are prickly dried seed heads still standing now. At least until the road crews start bushhogging alongside the highways.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus