Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this prickly plant?

Posted by steve22802 7a VA (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 16, 09 at 10:59

Does anyone know the name of this prickly plant? Seems like it might make an interesting addition to a bouquet. It grows wild along the highways here in Virginia.

prickly-weed

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this prickly plant?

Steve - I don't know its formal name, but its Teasel (sp?)
I use it in fall arrangements and actually spray paint it with floral spray for Christmas decorations! It lasts forever...have some in a box that is over 4 years old!

Use gloves though...and its pretty when its green, but never have cut it in that stage.

Wendy

o

Wendy~What brand of floral spray do you use? I'm assuming gold. Or?? Sounds interesting, what else do you put with it?

Is it blooming now in Virginia, Steve? It looks scarey.

One to try with frilly ladies mantle! :)

o

Thanks Wendy. I've failed twice to grow Sea Holly maybe I should try to grow this instead since it grows on it's own around here.

o

Wow, very interesting - but look at those thorns! I don't know if it would be worth it to use. I have enough problems dealing with cleome, lol.

:)
Dee

o

In some states, teasel is considered a noxious weed. If I were to use it in a flower show competition, my entry containing teasel would disqualified, and probably not allowed for exhibition. I'd suggest checking on its status before planting it. (It does have very interesting texture, and I bet it would be a great contrast with frilly or velvety plants.)

o

I have seen teasel spryed gold or silver in competitons for dreid arrangements.
Florists will mix them in arrangements with lotus pods etc.
Never know about a noxious weed, lol, Queen Annes is a weed here but common in many floral arrangements. When I order from florists for work I tell them no weeds like Queen Annes lace, not paying for weeds

o

Please dont TRY to grow this plant. It is certainly a noxious weed here. If it is growing in the areas beside your freeway/highway, it will get into your garden and be everywhere. It has very sharp barbs on the backs of the leaves that kids and anyone else can get caught up on. Great for fall arrangements, nasty the rest of the time. As you probably guessed, I have it here, BY THE ACRE load. Kat

o

Thanks for the warning kitkat, I won't try to grow it. I'll limit myself to using what I can just gather from the roadside. Do you have a recommendation for something with similar texture? As I mentioned above my attempts to grow Sea Holly have led to dismal failure. :( I assume they hate my clay soil. Maybe I should try one more time with specially ammended soil...what is that they really want to grow in?

Prairiegirlz5, it's not blooming now, it blooms in late summer I think, but there are prickly dried seed heads still standing now. At least until the road crews start bushhogging alongside the highways.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here