Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phylrae

Bluestone trip-help me?

phylrae
14 years ago

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are going to be out in Ohio next week, so will take a side trip on the way home to pick up an existing perennial order from Bluestone. I called them this week and they told me I could buy 3/$6 perennials when we get there in person. I'm not sure if they have to be the same perennial (?) or can be mix 'n match...

Here is a list of potential perennials I am considering (but I have to pare down). I am mainly interested in CUT FLOWERS for medium size vases. If anyone has personal info on which ones NOT to purchase (ie, horribly invasive, hard to grow, not a good bloomer, etc.) would you mind advising me? Thanks so much!

Achillea Terra Cotta

Adenophora Amethyst

Aquilegia skinnerii Tequila Sunrise

Campanula persicifolia New Giant

Campanula Sarastro

Campanula punctata Cherry Bells or Pantaloons (read that they may be invasive or not bloom well?)

Centranthus ruber

Chrysanthemum superburm Wirral Pride

Delphinium (which ones are reliable returners in zone 5 & better for cutting?)

Dianthus barbatus Novena Clown

Dianthus x Itsaul White

Echinacea purpurea Pink Double Delight

Gaillardia Frenzy

Gaillardia Oranges & Lemons

Lobelia cardinalis Ruby Slipper

Lobelia Monet Moment

Lychnis Chalcedonica

Monarda Lambada

Penstemon (Rondo?) or ...........? (I have Red Rocks)

Phlox paniculata Bright Eyes

Phlox paniculata David

Phlox paniculata Starfire

Primula vialii Miracle

Platycodon Mariesii

Veronica Sunny Border Blue (or other?) (I do have Royal Candles)

Also, any recommendations for a salvia that DOESN'T smell like cat urine? I have grown a few from seed, and they are beautiful to look at, but smell just like my cat pee'd on them!

Thanks for all your help!!

:0) Phyl

Comments (6)

• l_james
    14 years ago

The gaillardia are short lived.
    The achilleas not a real good cut flower the sorta foul the water.
    Echinaceas are short lived.
    Centranthus ruber neat plant but a cut flower?
    I didn't pull their catalog out and look at the other plants. These are the ones that I wouldn't recomend as cut flowers if your looking for years of production.
    The tall phlox make great cut flowers and live for decades.

• phylrae
    Original Author
    14 years ago

James,
    Thank you for responding....I went by what the catalog said were good cut flowers. I have grown gaillardia, and rudbeckia mostly from seed though. My Echinacea Doppelganger has been growing gangbusters for many years...but I haven't tried the newer ones I think look so beautiful because of such bad reports on some of these forums.
    I really appreciate your input. Didn't know if anyone would respond.
    Phyl

• Patty_WI
    14 years ago

Achillea Terra Cotta- nice color & I love any yarrow in bouquets!

Delphinium - any Delphinium Magic Fountains mix is good- (taller ones are just too big for med bouquets) the key to these is good drainage.

Monarda Lambada - Love the smell, do not pick over mature as the bloom will shatter

Penstemon (Rondo?) a little short, but nice in small bouquets and tends to drop petals,

Phlox paniculata Bright Eyes - wonderful!

Phlox paniculata David- I can't do white here as the bugs eat the white flowers 1st, maybe you can have the white

Phlox paniculata Starfire -color becomes a little washed out, I prefer orange perfection

Veronica Sunny Border Blue - love veronica!

The Echinacea don't sell well here and the gaillardia dosn't last long in bouquets. I can't comment on the others, as i havn't grown them.

Patty

• phylrae
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Patty....especially with the advice on Phlox David...I definitely have lots of bugs (esp. Jap. Beetles & aphids) & Starfire (I don't want washed out!) Somebody on another forum said Veronica Sunny Border Blue might be too short...oh well...I could always try.
    Might look into a taller penstemon...might also try growing the delphinium from seed so I can have more than just a few plants. I sell to local customers, so I don't need tons of plants, but if I try delphiniums, I guess I would want some just for the garden look too!
    Have a great weekend! :0) Phyl

• l_james
    14 years ago

A few plants that Bluestone has that I would recomend that are not on your list are:
    Achillea ptarmica - A. Angel's Breath
    Eupatorium Coelestinum - Wayside, Hardy Ageratum
    The catalog says that the hardy ageratum is 15" tall but mine grew to at least 2'.

• phylrae
    Original Author
    14 years ago

James, thanks for the recommendations. I am not too crazy for the look of the eupatorium (just me) but the achillea ptarmica Angels Breath looks nice. :0) Phyl

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio