Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leahsurfer

Cut flowers that will survive the summer heat

leahsurfer
11 years ago

I posted this on another forum but I may get more expertise here.

I'm in central Texas and am getting married on Oct 12.

I insist on growing as many of my flowers (and grasses, and foliage) as possible and getting the rest from a local cut flower farm (especially if we have a super dry and hot summer and I am unable to keep p!). I've been gardening for 9 years so I am feeling pretty confident, although I am mainly a vegetable gardener, but I do grow a lot of perennials to cut from and attract insects.

I am starting a variety of things from seed to supplement the perennials that I already have and know that I can depend on.

Here's what I have established already:
Texas betony
echinacea
purple sage
purple fountain grass
lady's slipper (for bouquet)
fall aster (not sure if it will be blooming by then though - fingers crossed!)
knock out roses (hoping to harvest the blooms that aren't fully open yet)
bulbine
butterfly weed
coral vine
bottle brush
lantana
shrimp plant
fall obedient plant
beauty berry
gaura
mistflower
skyflower
lavender, rosemary, and other herbs.

...I have used a lot of these things as cut flowers before, but not all. For the above plants- do you have any tips on encouraging more flowers, or when to harvest, or storing, drying, pruning, anything?

Others I plan to use that I am starting from seed now: zinnias
cosmos
cotton
strawflower (if it blooms sooner i can just dry it?)
amaranth (globe, elephant head, hot biscuits, love lies bleeding)
dichondra (good for bouquet)
Texas bluebells aka lisianthus - (I started this from seed almost a month ago and it has not sprouted yet. But this is supposed to be a wildflower here! What I am doing wrong?!)
marigolds
agastache (rose mint) - also not doing well from seed.
powder puff aster - will it take 105 degree days?
sunflowers (including mexican torch)
balsam (old fashioned)
chinese lantern
armenian basket flower

What am I missing that you love to grow as a cut flower that will survive the heat? What are your tips and tricks?

I know some of these things might bloom before the heat of the summer sets in, and my thinking is that if I prune, mulch well, use shade cloth through the very worst of the summer, and compost, I can encourage them to bloom again as soon as the temps dip below 95! yeah? what do you think?

I also plan to do succession plantings of things like sunflowers.

Thanks for bearing with me through the long post. I really appreciate your input.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor