Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
when to take cuttings of daffodils

Posted by hudsonvalley_zone6a (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 3, 10 at 13:59

I have a number of daffodils that I'd like to use indoors as decor. When is the best time to cut these for indoor purposes? Also, will cutting daffodils kill the plant? Can you tell that I'm a newbie?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: when to take cuttings of daffodils

hudsonvalley, you can cut your daffs as soon as the bud is fat and showing color or you can cut them when they are fully open. I find the best way to harvest them is to hold the stem as far down as I can get my fingers and give it a good tug. Usually, the stem breaks down below ground level and you will see a whitish area at the bottom of the stem, sometimes it will break further up, either is fine. You should then cut the white area off and put the daffs into clean water. Daffodils exude a gooey sap and should not be conditioned with other flowers until they have been in their own water for at least an hour, I like to keep them separated for at least three hours and then you can mix them with other flowers, you will notice that the bottom of the stems might have split, just cut above the split before arranging them. The gooey sap is nasty for other flowers and will prevent them from taking up water. Picking your daffs will not kill the bulb, just let the leaves complete their cycle through yellowing and cut them off and you will have daffs again next year, probably more of them. Enjoy. Kat

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here